Updates HELP newb

Reaction score
Please Help DVD-RW Drag And Drop

OK I have 2 questions, the 1st one being can I install any ATA DVD-RW into my powermac G4 or do I need something specific? maybe a certain model? will i get mac OS compatible software??

Second question I have some aplications on my mac that i no longet have the discs for and was looking to get a new mac. Can I somehow drag and drop the aplications from 1 mac to the other via a usb pen etc. or will they not install?

Thanks Guys

OP
nathannew2008
Reaction score
2 stupid questions

1. if i have say 10.4.9 installed and do updates does it become 10.4.11?

2. how do i do updates?

(i have only owned a mac for 7 days but get more help in these forums than switchers hangout)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
2 stupid questions

1. if i have say 10.4.9 installed and do updates does it become 10.4.11?

2. how do i do updates?

(i have only owned a mac for 7 days but get more help in these forums than switchers hangout)

1. Yes.

2. Apple menu => Software Update.

Oh, and check out the Help menu when you're in Finder, there's really quite a bit of useful information there, including this.

OP
nathannew2008
Reaction score
Thanks I did ask this in a previouse thread in switchers hangout but got no responce. can i put any dvd-rw in my dual 450mhz g4? are any likly to come with mac OS compatible burninig software?
Can you drag and drop applications from 1 mac to another eg via usb pen or somthing??

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks I did ask this in a previouse thread in switchers hangout but got no responce. can i put any dvd-rw in my dual 450mhz g4? are any likly to come with mac OS compatible burninig software?
Can you drag and drop applications from 1 mac to another eg via usb pen or somthing??

I believe that old G4 will likely have an old DVD-RAM drive in it. If that's the case, I'm not sure what modern writable media they use as DVD-RAM is pretty much obsolete. The good news is that it's a pretty easy swap-out and will only run you about $30 should you choose to upgrade the drive.

As far as software goes, I'd look into Burn. It works pretty well and you can't beat the price.

Oh, and yes, any old USB flash drive should work.

OP
nathannew2008
Reaction score
i have an old dvd-rom is the system and want any old ddvd-rw as a form of backup im know its an ata drive but wasnt sure if any ata dvd-rw would do.
as im sure you know with windows you cant drag and drop aplications like that but i have some aplications i no longer have the discs for that i may concider moving to a newer model powermac or imac.
say for instance it was photoshop do i need the licence key again of is it realy drag and drop?
Thanks for your help by the way

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i have an old dvd-rom is the system and want any old ddvd-rw as a form of backup im know its an ata drive but wasnt sure if any ata dvd-rw would do.

Yes, most standard DVD-RWs should be fine. In fact, I just upgraded a friend's dual G4/500 PowerMac with a new optical drive from http://www.otherworldcomputing.com and it works perfectly.

as im sure you know with windows you cant drag and drop aplications like that but i have some aplications i no longer have the discs for that i may concider moving to a newer model powermac or imac.
say for instance it was photoshop do i need the licence key again of is it realy drag and drop?
Thanks for your help by the way

If you don't have the installation media, you probably don't have a legal license to use the software - so I can't answer that question.

OP
nathannew2008
Reaction score
"If you don't have the installation media, you probably don't have a legal license to use the software - so I can't answer that question".

brings me onto the next question i purchased the machine from ebay how can i tell if all or any of the installed software is genuine? i was provided with an aplication backup disk (the one i no longer have).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"If you don't have the installation media, you probably don't have a legal license to use the software - so I can't answer that question".

brings me onto the next question i purchased the machine from ebay how can i tell if all or any of the installed software is genuine? i was provided with an aplication backup disk (the one i no longer have).

What happens a lot of times is that the seller will just install whatever software they think is going to help sell the machine - and they'll use that software again and again. The moral of the story is that if you weren't given the installation media, the software doesn't belong to you.

OP
nathannew2008
Reaction score
so uninstall it??
or keep it installed?

my guess is to remove it off the machine and buy it?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so uninstall it??
or keep it installed?

my guess is to remove it off the machine and buy it?

Really, that's up to you and your moral barometer. The Forum's stance is that we don't discuss illegal activity, period - which is why I can't comment on this situation other than to advise you of the implications of continued use.

OP
nathannew2008
Reaction score
well thank you for you help on this i think that the easyiest way to proceed in any way is to remove the aplictions buy them from play.com amazon ect then reinstall that way when I do get my new mac I uninstall them from this 1 and place them on the new 1.
I dont perticularly want illigal software running on my mac.

now for some advice on a new machine.
macbook macbookpro or macbook air?

mainuses are music photos and photoshop also some games like sims 2 etc but in the main its music/ipod and photoshop and photos

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
As far as the drive goes, when the combo drive took a header in one of my eMacs, I simply grabbed an LG GSA H55N Dual Layer DVD burner and put it in, just needed CD support, turns out it'll burn all of the drives supported media thru Leopard. not sure on the app you speak of but as far as the actual drive goes.....try a new LG....

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would lean toward the standard MacBook. The MacBook Pro is a very nice machine, but may be overkill for your fairly meager needs. The main benefit of the MacBook Pro is the more powerful graphics solution, but that would only be necessary for high-end games (The Sims 2 and others like it will run perfectly fine on a standard MacBook). I would only recommend the Air for someone who travels very frequently and is willing to sacrifice convenience, flexibility, power and performance for a very tiny machine.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
NOTE: Merged duplicate threads.

OP
nathannew2008
Reaction score
using adobe creative suite requires a bit more power from the processor also often needs a bit more from the graphics.

my main two are either macbook pro 15" or a black macbook

are you sure they will handle photoshop as say a windows desktop would (pentium 4 3ghz with a dedicated 256 8400gs graphics card?)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.