Update my MacBook or get a Pro?

Oct 13, 2011
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'd really appreciate your advice. I have a 2006 MacBook running Tiger 10.4.11. The battery died a while back so I have to plug it in all the time, and it can't upgrade to the latest iTunes without Leopard/Snow Leopard so I haven't been able to update my iPhone. Other than that it's still working fine and I really love it.

So...my phone contract expires in December and I'd like to upgrade to the iPhone 4 (3GS atm) but I can't with this computer. This is also my last year in education so from June I won't be able to take advantage of the education discount. Since I'm still studying this year I'll probably get most benefit from having a computer that is actually portable! I've also heard that there will be a complete revamp of the MacBook Pros in 2012 but I don't know when.

My dilemma is whether to:
- buy the Snow Leopard upgrade and maybe a new battery to give my MacBook a new lease of life (prob about £100 which will be a waste if I get a Pro in Jan or something)
- get a Pro now
- do neither and wait until the new Pro comes out in 2012 before upgrading my phone.

Does anyone have any advice? Thanks!


Retired Staff
Jul 24, 2008
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Comes down to how patient you are and how much money you want to spend.

If I was in your situation I would wait until 2012.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.