Unwanted emails on iPhone

Reaction score
I rarely use my iPhone and often come up with hundreds of emails when I turn it on. I've used all the tricks to delete them but now the phone shows over 900 emails on the home screen but when I go to the mailboxes they are not there. Any ideas how to fix this problem?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Are you sure that you're looking at the right mailbox? In the top left hand corner, click "Mailboxes" and see what is reported in each mailbox.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Is it still syncing? It's possible that, since you only check it once in a while, the app is trying to catch put o all the changes you've made since last opening it.

OP
R
Reaction score
I've synced it with my iMac but the home page still shows over 900 emails, but still none in the inboxes.

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
Are you using a POP3 email account? These normally have a setting where you either do or do not remove the email from the server when you do a Send/Receive and get your new emails.

The set up I have is a POP3 account and my MacBook Pro removes email from the server when it Receives - this is the master for my email. My iPhone is set to 'not remove' email as, once I download them on the move I still want to be able to download them to my MBP for storage. Once it is on my MBP I don't need to download it to my iPhone, so this combo works for me.

It sounds to me like none of your devices are set to remove the email from the server when they do a Receive? So when you do use your iPhone there are hundreds of previously un-downloaded emails waiting to be collected. Note that each device knows which emails they have already downloaded so they don't download them twice even if they are still on the server. Which explains why your site view shows hundreds of mails but your iMac isn't attempting to pull them down.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the advice. I finally restored my phone on iTunes and the emails disappeared.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.