Unwanted change in Safari since moving to Big Slur

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP mid-'15, 16GB RAM, Big Sur
Unfortunately I 'upgraded' to Big Slur recently, and [one of the Safari changes] I noticed that if I scroll too far/fast to the top of a page the page it drops me off in the preceding website in my 'reading list' and it I scroll too far/fast to the bottom of a page, I am pushed up into the next 'reading list' website. I do not want this feature so, Is there a way to turn it off?

Related, when I click on the address line for Safari, it presents me with a host of websites [some from my favorites and others are 'top sites' and others [privacy report, Siri suggestions and reading list]. Can I personalize this drop-down?

Thanks

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi and welcome.

Here's a video from Apple on all the new settings in the latest version of Safari/Big Sur.

Hopefully, that will help.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Unfortunately I 'upgraded' to Big Slur recently, and [one of the Safari changes] I noticed that if I scroll too far/fast to the top of a page the page it drops me off in the preceding website in my 'reading list' and it I scroll too far/fast to the bottom of a page, I am pushed up into the next 'reading list' website. I do not want this feature so, Is there a way to turn it off?

I hate that feature also. Unfortunately, there is no way to turn it off that I've found.

Related, when I click on the address line for Safari, it presents me with a host of websites [some from my favorites and others are 'top sites' and others [privacy report, Siri suggestions and reading list]. Can I personalize this drop-down?

The video that Ian linked to will get you fixed up in this regard. It wasn't clear to me at first why he posted that since I assumed those settings only affected a new blank page, but as it turns out those settings also affect what you see when clicking in the address line.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thank you, LIAB:)

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thread has been moved to the correct forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Have you looked in Safari > Preferences > Websites? Lots of on/off switches for different options.

Reaction score
I just want to point out that Apple has reversed several of its most controversial design changes in Safari. You may want to download the beta and check it out to see if it addresses your concerns:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It should be pointed out that Safari 15.1 will be included with the install of Monterey which will be available for download Monday, October 25th here in the US and Canada.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.