unusual pop-up message

Reaction score
Greetings all,

I have an iMac and recently a strange message popped up on the screen:

The name of your computer “Anthony’s iMac” is already in use on this network. The name has been changed to “Anthony’s iMac (2)”.

What's this about? Is it anything to worry about? There is only one iMac in use on this network

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Nothing to worry about in my view. Others may disagree of course.

I've had this happen with all my iMacs over the last 15 years. It may be because another Mac is/was on the same server (not in your case you said), or you didn't disassociate a previous Mac you owned from your Apple ID or, often the commonest, it's a macOS bug related to DNS cache.

If this was to become a recurring message, then there are ways, via Terminal, to rename your Mac.

For the moment, I'd ignore it.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I think I'm up to 6. And it happens, I think, because the mDNS server doesn't purge names fast enough, so when you take it out of the network, then bring it back, the server still is keeping the records for the "previous" machine and assigns a new number. At least, that is all I can figure out for it happening. In any case, it's not an issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.