unplanned screen switches

Reaction score
Hi all
Anyone else experience this... I'd be looking at my screen/reading a email or reading a doc on a web site and the system would switch/swop to my next screen...

No hands on keyboard or mouse...

G
Ventura 13.1 on MBP - M1(16") 2021

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
Hi all
Anyone else experience this... I'd be looking at my screen/reading a email or reading a doc on a web site and the system would switch/swop to my next screen...

No hands on keyboard or mouse...

G
Ventura 13.1 on MBP - M1(16") 2021
Mine does that, so I have to move the cat off the keyboard ;)

OP
georgelza
Reaction score
ye no cat around here... except if it is one that ran out of its 9 lives and it is now ghosting me... keyboard...

G

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Any liquid damage to the keyboard/trackpad? Is the screen switch the only thing that happens or do you see other random click events as well?

Also, try closing down all applications and keeping just a single app running on a single space (assuming you are using spaces) and see if the switch happens in this scenario or it stays quiet. If the latter, it might be an application that's trying to hijack the focus away from the active app/screen causing this.

OP
georgelza
Reaction score
Any liquid damage to the keyboard/trackpad? Is the screen switch the only thing that happens or do you see other random click events as well?

Also, try closing down all applications and keeping just a single app running on a single space (assuming you are using spaces) and see if the switch happens in this scenario or it stays quiet. If the latter, it might be an application that's trying to hijack the focus away from the active app/screen causing this.
def no liquid anywhere.
I have done a recent restart f laptop.
I've noticed it seems to be when viewing Safari in one workspace that it flips to a 2nd workspace, to a Safari.

G

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it's isolated to just Safari, it might have to do with what is running on those two Safari windows? The obvious test is to have a single Safari window and see if it still switches. If it doesn't, open a second Safari window but don't go to any specific website, just let it site on the empty tab and see what happens.

You'll have to employ a process of elimination to determine the cause.

OP
georgelza
Reaction score
If it's isolated to just Safari, it might have to do with what is running on those two Safari windows? The obvious test is to have a single Safari window and see if it still switches. If it doesn't, open a second Safari window but don't go to any specific website, just let it site on the empty tab and see what happens.

You'll have to employ a process of elimination to determine the cause.
all viable ideas... if it was not that this is my primary work interface.
Can't exactly let it sit.
and it's at random.

G

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Rather than having two Safari windows on separate workspaces, you might want to employ two different browsers instead. This making switching between them easier too.

For example, on my work machine I use Chrome (managed by work) as my work browser while I use Brave for my personal browsing.

OP
georgelza
Reaction score
best i can do for now is swing everything to firefox...

i normally have some sites open in FF and some in Safari.

Each multiple windows/multiple tabs.

G

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Multiple "Spaces" as well?

Also are you using the trackpad or mouse?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
all viable ideas... if it was not that this is my primary work interface.
Can't exactly let it sit.
Well, are you working from home? Not 16 hours per day, 7 days a week, right?
If from the office, can you go in on an "off" day and run this test? Long commute??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.