Unintentional upgrade to Monterey not the disaster I anticipated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
As is reasonably well documented , I've been complaining about my computer for a while : Erratic operation, mystery crashes, s_l_o_w operation etc. My computer was dropped off to the Genius Bar after crashing or locking up several times a day always requiring a hard reboot. They found nothing wrong. SIGH When I got the computer back, it had been updated to Monterey from Catalina. I freaked out for a few minutes. The last thing I needed or wanted was yet another OS that I would never figure out or understand.

Well ........The jury is in. The computer runs great. It hasn't crashed once. As a matter of fact, and I can't believe I'm saying this, I rather LIKE Monterey. Sure, I miss Mojave, but perhaps change isn't always bad. It took me a while to warm up to the back-up camera in my truck too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I think you'll like it, in the end. Did you manage to preserve all your pictures and music?

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
I think you'll like it, in the end. Did you manage to preserve all your pictures and music?

More or less Jake. I was able to copy the what's left Photos Library to a remote drive, as well as much of the music.

How much of an update is Ventura? Who knows, maybe in a few years I'll be ready to update to that. 😎

As a funny side note, I need a new watch. I opened a credit card a few months ago to get the $200 reward for spending a grand. Amazon had a $450 Apple Watch for $300. Ad to that my reward, and I get a nice new watch for $100. Hard to say no to that. Safe bet I'll have questions in THAT area of the forum LOL.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
As is reasonably well documented , I've been complaining about my computer for a while : Erratic operation, mystery crashes, s_l_o_w operation etc. My computer was dropped off to the Genius Bar after crashing or locking up several times a day always requiring a hard reboot. They found nothing wrong. SIGH When I got the computer back, it had been updated to Monterey from Catalina. I freaked out for a few minutes. The last thing I needed or wanted was yet another OS that I would never figure out or understand.

Well ........The jury is in. The computer runs great. It hasn't crashed once. As a matter of fact, and I can't believe I'm saying this, I rather LIKE Monterey. Sure, I miss Mojave, but perhaps change isn't always bad. It took me a while to warm up to the back-up camera in my truck too.

Well this is no mystery. Catalina was a disaster for many people, myself included. There's a reason why it was sometimes referred to as macOS Vista. Only a clean reinstall got it working reasonably well here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
As a funny side note, I need a new watch. I opened a credit card a few months ago to get the $200 reward for spending a grand. Amazon had a $450 Apple Watch for $300. Ad to that my reward, and I get a nice new watch for $100. Hard to say no to that. Safe bet I'll have questions in THAT area of the forum LOL.
Good news on the  Watch. Do you have an iPhone? I ask because the  Watch needs an iPhone to pair with to provide full functionality. I think it will tell time without an iPhone but that's about it.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Well this is no mystery. Catalina was a disaster for many people, myself included. There's a reason why it was sometimes referred to as macOS Vista. Only a clean reinstall got it working reasonably well here.
I did a "clean" install of Catalina at initial upgrade and had very few problems with it in the following 12 months. Maybe that's the key?:unsure:

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did a "clean" install of Catalina at initial upgrade and had very few problems with it in the following 12 months. Maybe that's the key?:unsure:
In my case it was pretty problematic within weeks and was pre-loaded on the new computer.

edit. In retrospect, it worked great initially and the wheels came off after I updated Catalina.

Last edited:
OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good news on the  Watch. Do you have an iPhone? I ask because the  Watch needs an iPhone to pair with to provide full functionality. I think it will tell time without an iPhone but that's about it.
$&!T. Nope, no iPhone. I'll look into that. If that's the case I'll just return it

edit : Oh well. Yeah, I apparently need apps, the cloud, and all manner of things I do my best to avoid.

At least my computer is still working. ;-)

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.