uninstalling apps

Reaction score
First, I need to say I used Windows machines for 25 years. Switched to Mac 2 years ago. For most all of the versions of Windows OS, adding and removing programs, (apps) required more steps than just dragging an app from the Applications folder to the Trash. And I know that some OS X apps have an uninstall feature. But most are just dragged to the Trash. Correct? My concern is that, one of the reasons Windows would slow down or act strange is that fragments and bits and pieces of uninstalled "programs" would linger in files all over the OS. Do I have to be concerned about this with Mac and is there a way to clean out any lingering files if need be?

M

MacInWin

Most apps are find with drag to the trash. If it came with an uninstaller, you should run that. And if it was registered (MS Office and Photoshop come to mind), then you would need to deregister it before uninstalling. IF you follow that protocol, what is left behind will cause NO problems and you don't need to worry about it. The reason Windows slows down is the crapola collects in the registry until it become unwieldy and slows down the entire machine. OS X has no registry, so no slowdown. If you are concerned about the small bits and pieces that may be left behind, an app like AppCleaner will tidy that up for you, but it's really nothing to worry about at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
1, Use the uninstaller. For Office 2011 go to microsfot website for uninstall directions.

2. Others drag to Trash.

3. Use software such as AppDelete or AppTrap to remove all files.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks. I found AppCleaner downloads but no where does it say it will search for leftover files of apps that I have already dragged to the trash, say, two weeks ago and have since emptied the Trash. Will it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It asks at the time you trash them Barry. You get a window asking about removing all of the apps files at the time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.