Uninstalling 32 bit on a 64 bit machine

Reaction score
HI All --
I just bought a new MacBook Pro with Catalina 10.15.7. I then migrated all my info from my older MBP (10.11 El Capitan) onto the new machine. I now realize that none of my 32-bit software (Adobe CS6, Microsoft 2011 Suite, etc...) will run -- including their uninstallers.
How do I properly/completely uninstall the 32-bit programs when their uninstallers won't work?

(And -- DO they need to be uninstalled if I plan to replace them with updated versions, including going from "owned" to "subscription based" programs, again, like Adobe?)

Lots of questions -- thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
You can use something like AppCleaner to clear out the old software completely, including all referenced preference lists, etc. You just drag/drop the app you want eliminated to AppCleaner and it cleans it out. When you subscribe to Adobe and Microsoft, you will download new versions and install them fresh.

I would uninstall the old stuff before installing the new.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Both Adobe and Microsoft websites have the answers to those questions and more.

OP
M
Reaction score
Looks like AppCleaner is the winner -- thanks both of you for your answers!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In case you need it, Microsoft provides an uninstaller (which you can download from their site) that will remove everything concerned with Office 2011. AppCleaner can not and will not remove all the hidden files that are locked down in the System.

I believe Adobe also has that kind of uninstaller.

OP
M
Reaction score
In case you need it, Microsoft provides an uninstaller (which you can download from their site) that will remove everything concerned with Office 2011. AppCleaner can not and will not remove all the hidden files that are locked down in the System.

I believe Adobe also has that kind of uninstaller.
Ah, thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
An app called Go64 will list all 32bit applications and advise if updatres are available.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.