Uneven LED Backlight

Reaction score
I just bought a 13" Macbook and this is the 3rd one I had in the last month. Basically the first 2 were defective and I finally got one that turns on haha.

I noticed that when having a blank white document or screen open, the lower left corner is darker. It is not the angle cause I am looking dead on center both horizontally and vertically. I do not really mind uneven vertical viewing unevenness. It does bother me however when the brightness is uneven from left to right as I am reading words left to right and its dark at the beginning of the sentence, and darker at the end. Maybe I am OCD, but still, it is annoying. I took it back to Best Buy and they said it is within company specs and I would have to pay 15% restocking fee to replace it? Is this a common problem with the uneven backlight?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I'm sorry to hear that you've had such a bad run of luck, and pardon my bluntness, but **** Best Buy and make an appointment with Apple Genius counter at Apple to take it in.
Go in with a pleasant non confrontational attitude and I am certain that it will be taken care of.
I've had an uneven backlight for a bit over a year in that same part of the screen, but it evens out after a few minutes of warming up, and doesn't bother me, but a new Mac, you are within full right and covered under warranty to have this resolved!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Even LED tvs can have uneven brightness, it's just the way the led brightness panels are laid out from behind. My mbp is kind of noticeable. If I want to make my self notice it, I just watch a movie with top and bottom borders, or display a black picture and increasing the brightness. It's not really a problem though, because this isn't the only led backlit device that does this. You can always take it to apple, bestbuy truly is a pain in the rear when it comes to returning things. You wouldn't take a mercedes to a wholesale dealer for service would you? That's how I see it. Good luck!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I agree with Idrin - you're never going to get a perfectly balanced LCD display. In certain colors/lights, there will be a slight shift here and there. That's just the way it is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.