Undo trash

Reaction score
Hi,
Having a clear out of the junk on my computer before I upgrade to 'snow leopard' and sent 750 items to the TRASH then realised that was a mistake but now need to restore them back to their original folders etc! The items are in the TRASH CAN but I don't know to reverse the process? Any ideas will be gratefully received, hopefully not having to do it one by one!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Right click or ctrl~click on the one you want to get out of there and then from the window click 'Put Back'
If you want to put all back cmd~a then the right click>put back.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Right click or ctrl~click on the one you want to get out of there and then from the window click 'Put Back'
If you want to put all back cmd~a then the right click>put back.

Cheers

Was that an option in Leopard?...... Off memory, I don't think it was until Snow Leopard, but I could be mistaken my inked Mac friend.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Was that an option in Leopard?...... Off memory, I don't think it was until Snow Leopard, but I could be mistaken my inked Mac friend.

No it was a addition to SL.
Have to admit, it was one of the things i missed when i switched.
Was only a 5mth hiatus though .. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Geez Tatster, you really have been having one of those days LOL

yeh... unfortunately, without a time machine backup or a clone, you are going to have to painstakingly restore the items individually.
Your other option of course is to create a folder and move them all to the folder, and then backup with time machine or a clone, and then sort through them later at your own leasure!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Geez Tatster, you really have been having one of those days LOL

I have re read the post .... my bad *shakes head*
Im outta here, try again tomorrow....
Told ya The 60's lol

Apologises to the OP :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
:)
I'm there too... Lately I've constantly been re reading posts and quickly editing my posts before it gets back to the OP's or people who jump in.
Be lost without that edit tab :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By the way, welcome to the OP to Mac Forums, and sorry for the dialog and the confusion following your post :p

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome and replies, '6string' 's suggestion about a folder sounds like the best solution. How do I do that???? you will of course have gathered I'm not fully up to speed with the inner workings of my Mac. I have just done a new folder and tried to move the whole trash can into it, no luck! probably wishful thinking on my part but always willing to try and then ask how - maybe I need to ask first! Thankyou for your patience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right click (control click) on the desktop, new folder, and name if accidental trash.
Open the the trash, and select all the items, drag and hold them on top of the "accidental folder" for a second, and then you should be able to drop them into that folder by releasing the mouse button (trackpad button).
Then you can move that folder to your home folder (the user folder with your name) if you wish.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Open the the trash, and select all the items, drag and hold them on top of the "accidental folder" for a second, and then you should be able to drop them into that folder by releasing the mouse button (trackpad button).

Just another FYI if you do the above...
Initially, as you "hover" over that folder, you just see your cursor, and a "ghost" of the files you highlighted. After a pause (length depends on a setting you can adjust) that folder you are hovering over will open a finder window. That's ok, you just release, and all the files will go in there.

Bonus FYI: If you were dragging something to a separate drive, after a second, you should see a green dot with a + sign in it. That tells you you're about to Copy rather than move the item. Or, if that's what you want to do within the same drive, just hold down the Option key as you drag.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.