understanding iTunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
when I used Windows on my PC, i never got involved with iTunes or anything like that.

now i have converted to Apple (MacBook air, iPad air and iPhone) things are different.

my old iphone4 (which is worth next to nothing and I cannot sell)...i have found a use for it.
......i understand it can be connected to iPod slot on my stereo system.
great!! then i read that I can upload my own mp3 files (i copied from old cds) to iTunes
put iPhone on iPod connector and link up to itunes and play songs at my leisure.

not sure how to go about that.

i have read about apple music, apple match but those require payment.
there are some sites (one being..songcast) offering downloads so one can upload for free uploads to iTunes
......but not going that route unless i have heard from other Apple users, it is safe.

i have all my songs on external drive for safekeeping but would like to be able to access
them via iCloud...I think!

did i express myself clearly enough so someone can understand and maybe give me some suggestions.
thnx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi Lori.... - sorry, but your post is confusing, meandering, and not specific as to your goals - let me first take portions of your statements and ask and/or propose some questions to get started:

now i have converted to Apple (MacBook air, iPad air and iPhone) things are different.

Please provide model/year information on your MacBook and iDevices, i.e. for the latter is this the first iPad Air & is the iPhone the 4 model, and what iOS is installed on each?

my old iphone4......i understand it can be connected to iPod slot on my stereo system.
great!! then i read that I can upload my own mp3 files (i copied from old cds) to iTunes
put iPhone on iPod connector and link up to itunes and play songs at my leisure....not sure how to go about that.

Concerning the iPod slot, you likely mean the old longer 30-pin adapter (vs. the newer & smaller lightning charging dock on your iPad), so your iPhone 4 should fit that connection - you can certainly load music onto the iPhone via iTunes on your MB Air - I have an old iPod w/ lots of music (mostly my ripped MP3 files from CDs) that I use w/ a bedroom Sangean clock w/ a 30-pin dock - check this Apple Support Article for guidelines on how to get music from your computer to the iPhone.

i have read about apple music, apple match but those require payment.
there are some sites (one being..songcast) offering downloads so one can upload for free uploads to iTunes
......but not going that route unless i have heard from other Apple users, it is safe.

iTunes Match is $25/year and allows you to store your music (including MP3 rips) in Apple's cloud - this music can be streamed to your devices over a Wi-Fi network - wired or wireless connections are possible - check the link and ask further questions. Music can certainly be downloaded and streamed from other sources a variety of ways - I use a number of different options, so can share as needed.

i have all my songs on external drive for safekeeping but would like to be able to access
them via iCloud...I think!

Please provide further clarification as to the above - what type of external drive & source and format (e.g. MP3) of your music files - if most of these (if not all) are non-iTunes music, then to get that music to iCloud is going to cost, i.e. Apple Match; but tell us 'HOW MUCH' music do you have on that drive, i.e. MB or GB sizes - be specific.

Let me stop there - please 'digest' this information and respond w/ a well written itemized list to my questions and your own concerns and needs. Thanks - Dave :)

Last edited:
C

chas_m

Just for the record, the service you refer to is actually called iTunes Match.

The subscription service is called Apple Music, so the mixup is totally understandable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just for the record, the service you refer to is actually called iTunes Match.

The subscription service is called Apple Music, so the mixup is totally understandable.

Thanks Chas_m - well, not really a misunderstanding as to the title of the link, just trying to put a lot in a response w/o double checking as carefully as usual - now corrected - :) Dave

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you can see that i am having difficulty understanding my new MacBook!!sorry for the disjointed query.

macbook air 13" model A1466..upgraded to 8gb ram..running Yosemite 10.10.5
my iPad air first model MD791 CL/B (as shown in settings)...running iOS 9.2
my iPhone 4 8 gb running ios7 (i think that was the last upgrade i was allowed on this older model)
i now have iPhone 5s model DX3Q23E1FF9V...running iOS 9.1

yes i guess the iPod...30pin slot is what i am talking about tho never counted pins...just that it is a much wider connection than the iPad air and iPhone 5s.

all my music is in mp3 format....i copied all music from my own music cds which i have since sold or given away and received some from others (unknown sources)
I would guess i would have in the range of 180GB.
they are stored on the WD external drive mentioned above. I also still have them on my Windows PC.

If I understand correctly, that if they were non iTunes music, i would have to pay for the use of the iCloud.
i really don't want to pay for the iCloud storage, for this luxury of listening to my music.

it really is not that important to play music on iphone4 connected to iPod port on stereo, was just a nice thought and put old iphone4 to some good use!
will just have to connect the external drive to macbook air and listen to music that way.
until such time i advance to next step of this technology.

sorry to have taken your time on this matter. but know i understand a bit more about how iTunes works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi again Lori.... - let me do the same as before since you've given us some good information and further questions:

macbook air 13" model A1466..upgraded to 8gb ram..running Yosemite 10.10.5
my iPad air first model MD791 CL/B (as shown in settings)...running iOS 9.2
my iPhone 4 8 gb running ios7 (i think that was the last upgrade i was allowed on this older model)
i now have iPhone 5s model DX3Q23E1FF9V...running iOS 9.1

First, your MBAir could be upgraded to El Capitan (10.11.2 now - just did my two Macs) - second, do you have your music on the Apple laptop and if not do you want to? You should decide to control that iTunes library to your iDevices from one or the other, so a decision? As to your iPhone 4, 8 GB of storage will not offer much space to put a lot of music (my 2G iPod Touch which is fixed on iOS v. 4.x has 32 GB) - now, you did not tell us you had an iPhone 5s before w/ a recent iOS (which is now 9.2) - how much storage do you have on that phone? Also, how much storage is on your iPad Air, either could be used to store your music. So, my first thought is that you need to put your music either on your newest iPhone or your iPad (could be both, could be split).

yes i guess the iPod...30pin slot is what i am talking about tho never counted pins...just that it is a much wider connection than the iPad air and iPhone 5s.

Well, your new iPad and iPhone have the smaller lightning adapter so will not work in the older 30-pin connection on your stereo w/o an intermediate adapter; however, your stereo likely accepts a mini-stereo input which can be connected via a cable to the headphone output of your iDevices - just a consideration; in other words, you could put your music on either of your newer iDevices and attach either w/ the mini-stereo cable suggested (I've done the same over the years w/ several of mine).

all my music is in mp3 format....i copied all music from my own music cds which i have since sold or given away and received some from others (unknown sources) - I would guess i would have in the range of 180GB. they are stored on the WD external drive mentioned above. I also still have them on my Windows PC.

OK, all MP3 format and up to 180 GB total size - a LOT of music which will not fit completely on your present iDevices - do you want to be selective? If so, you need to decide what music you may want to transfer to your iDevices? Also, seems that you have no music on your Mac laptop - correct? If so, then you'll need to decide which of your two computers may best serve your iTunes needs - I would pick your Apple machine but your choice? If you decide to import this music into iTunes on your Apple laptop, then should be easily done.

If I understand correctly, that if they were non iTunes music, i would have to pay for the use of the iCloud.
i really don't want to pay for the iCloud storage, for this luxury of listening to my music.

it really is not that important to play music on iphone4 connected to iPod port on stereo, was just a nice thought and put old iphone4 to some good use!
will just have to connect the external drive to macbook air and listen to music that way.
until such time i advance to next step of this technology.

As already stated, iTunes Match would allow you to put all of your music into Apple's Cloud at $25/year - you seem not to want that option - true? Your iPhone 4 could be use w/ the old 30-pin dock but you have only 8 GB (much of which may be already used?), so probably not a great choice. BUT, as suggested before, all of your iDevices have headphone output which likely could be attached to your stereo (not sure, but I've done that before). Of course, if you have your music in iTunes on the MBAir, you could connect it via cable to your stereo or all of your Apple devices could send music via BT (Bluetooth) wirelessly (I use BT all of the time w/ headphones and a portable travel speaker; also, at home on BT capable sounders - so many options).

Well, hope this helps - and continue w/ your questions - there are numerous choices. Dave :)

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First, your MBAir could be upgraded to El Capitan (10.11.2 now - just did my two Macs)
.... is the update really that much better and will I actually see/sense a difference? still learning and don't want to get into any problems. For now i prefer to stay with Yosemite...unless of course there is a definite reason why i should upgrade. I find that sometimes not ALL upgrading of devices is best especially in beginning. Bugs you know!! lol lol lol.....

- second, do you have your music on the Apple laptop and if not do you want to?
I do not have music on my laptop and prefer not to as don't want my drive to get filled up as right now i have several movie/videos which I will have to move off soon to make space.

You should decide to control that iTunes library to your iDevices from one or the other, so a decision? that decision i will have to work on later.

now, you did not tell us you had an iPhone 5s before w/ a recent iOS (which is now 9.2) - how much storage do you have on that phone? storage on iPhone 5s is 16gb.

Also, how much storage is on your iPad Air, storage on ipad air is (used 5.6gb and avail 6.1) i guess 12gb??

a LOT of music which will not fit completely on your present iDevices - do you want to be selective? I would probably select my favs if I decide to put music on my devices. I

Also, seems that you have no music on your Mac laptop - correct? I have no music on laptop and would like to keep hard drive not filled with music as i don't have a large drive.

As already stated, iTunes Match would allow you to put all of your music into Apple's Cloud at $25/year - you seem not to want that option - true? yes that is true!

i think for now until i get a handle on things, i will just carry on as I have been. thank you so much for your valued comments and help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi again Lori.... - as to going to El Capitan, a personal decision - the upgrade is a small one and a new version of iTunes is available, but you're not planning to put music on the Apple laptop so probably not an issue - FYI, look at Apple's 'What's New in El Capitan' review.

Since you're not planning to use iTunes on your MBAir, you could use the program on your Windows PC, if desired - in fact on either computer, your 'media location' does not have to even be on the laptop's HD - an external HD (like where you music is now) can be used (see the screen capture below of the 'Advanced Settings' in iTunes on my MBPro - I have over 150 albums of MP3 music on my laptop - about 32 GB - but notice that the location can be changed, the blue double-arrow) - take a peek at Apple's iTunes Support pages for more details, if you want to use iTunes (which would be needed to put music onto your iDevices). Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-12-14 at 1.00.56 PM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.