Understanding a Mac Mini

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a MBP that I use for video editing and hate when my wife gets on it and messes with anything that somehow always ends with her disconnecting an external or something. So, I have been looking at getting her a macbook, but just started thinking last night, why not a mac mini.
We have a 50inch DLP TV in the living room and I could just hook it up to that right? What all do I need to know about mac mini(s). I am finding the G4 models for around $250 on craigslist. Are those good or should I spend more and look for an Intel based.
As long as I buy the keyboard and mouse (and since I will use my TV as a monitor) is there anything i am missing. I guess, I just don't understand why more people aren't doing this... or maybe they are and I have just been in the dark.
Will it run all the Ilife apps? Email? Word processor? Just basic computer stuff, she doesn't need it for much but she does use IPhoto, Itunes, and Imovie quite a bit.
thanks for the help
jared

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
MBP that I use for video editing and hate when my wife gets on it
Go into sys prefs/accounts and add another admin account User for your wife then enable fast user switching then u can have your own areas and less drama.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Go into sys prefs/accounts and add another admin account User for your wife then enable fast user switching then u can have your own areas and less drama.

My words exactly.... And think of the $ you will save :)

EDIT: you can go PPC and it will be fine to run all those you asked. But looking into the future the Intel is the way to go. and you can pick up some good refurbed ones from the  store and they come as new and have the warranty as if you are buying new.
People on here have bought refurbed Macs and couldnt be happier

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac,Macbook Pro
Mac Mini is the "cheaper" way to go. If your wife is looking for surfing the web and just messing around with computers then thats a good way to go. What 50" screen you have? I don't believe it will look as good quality with the 50" screen. Mac Mini's don't have as good video cards.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Mac Mini's don't have as good video cards.

Not trying to be argumentative but the new Minis have just as good a Video Chipset as the MacBook. In fact they are every bit as fast and good as a Macbook with the same specs.

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor is what both the Macbook and Mini have. Sure it's not a powerhouse but it's not bad either. Way better than the Intel graphics both Macbooks and Minis used to use.

OP
J
Reaction score
well i would probably get a used on craiglist so i might have issues with the bad video card. it is a 50 inch samsung dlp...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The so called BAD video card (Chipset) is an Intel GMA950. It's not that bad. Just not that good at 3d.

Intel GMA950 with resolution to 1920 x 1080 (VGA) and 1920 x 1200 (DVI).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro Intel 2 Mac Mini Power PCS 1,33 G4
Exactly

Makes sense you will save a fortune!!:eek:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am finding the G4 models for around $250 on craigslist.

$250 is wayyy too much for a G4 Mac-mini. Don't pay any more than $150...and even that is too much IMHO.

- Nick

Reaction score
Sorry for the threadjack but when did the first Intel minis come out? Is there a list somewhere of specs as they improved the mini?

And BTW, I'm finding that used mini's are hard to find. I'm currently scanning four possible sources, including Apple Refurb store, and not having much luck. But I'd hate to pay $600 for a new one.

Reaction score
Sorry for the threadjack but when did the first Intel minis come out? Is there a list somewhere of specs as they improved the mini?

And BTW, I'm finding that used mini's are hard to find. I'm currently scanning four possible sources, including Apple Refurb store, and not having much luck. But I'd hate to pay $600 for a new one.

Here's everything you ever wanted to know about the Mac Mini history:

Mac Mini - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Check the Apple Online refurb section. I picked up a nice affordable 2009 Mini Refurb with the 256MB graphics chipset and use it on my 37" Vizio LCD HDTV all the time. It has plenty of power for 90% of users. Unless you are doing CAD/CAM/CAE design or massive RAW photo editing, it's just fine. As mentioned before, with any OS X product, fast user switching allows many users to get along peacefully on one system. The Mini also makes a great DVD player and a good platform for viewing iTunes, Hulu, boxee, etc content on your TV. It's also a nice place to stash an external FW800 connected HDD for Time Machine backups and a streaming video vault for iTunes or AppleTV. Another nice feature... with Remote Desktop, I don't even need a keyboard and mouse as I just control everything from my Macbook. Enjoy!

EDIT: I'll also add that I edit H.264 HD video on the Mini almost weekly with no issues, using screen sharing over WiFi no less.

C

chas_m

Another thought:

You say your wife does "iTunes, iPhoto and iMovie" a lot. Do you mean actual editing of photos and video, or do you mean looking at photos and video?

If you mean the latter, sounds to me like she'd be quite happy with an iPad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.