unable to use "calculate all sizes "

Reaction score
Hi,
I would like to use the "calculate all sizes" feature in list view when I view "all my files".
It is greyed out in Show view options in the finder.
Is there a way I can view the total size of the files in a folder or even in "all my files " ?

This is on an iMac running OS 10.9.5.

thanks for your replies !

Gary

Reaction score
yes and no pretty much people just use the get info tab by right clicking the folder and do it that way you might be able to use onyx or some other app to give you a more detailed list

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
go to 'View' on the Menu bar,
then 'Show View Options'
In that popup - put a check in 'Calculate all sizes'
then click on the 'Use as Defaults' button at the bottom.

Can take a little bit to populate - or you may need to close and reopen Finder.
I don't really use Finder for that and not sure if you may need to do that with each folder you want to see that info for it's contents or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi,
I would like to use the "calculate all sizes" feature in list view when I view "all my files".
It is greyed out in Show view options in the finder.
Is there a way I can view the total size of the files in a folder or even in "all my files " ?

This is on an iMac running OS 10.9.5.

Hi Gary - please let us know the reasons you need to find your file sizes and how often you want to perform this task? The options in Finder can be a little convoluted and there are other disk management tools (some at a price, often w/ free trials, and others free) that may better serve your needs?

The 2 that are on my Macs are WhatSize Mac and Disk Inspector; a free one recommended here but not one that I have used is Disk Inventory X. As an example, I just ran WhatSize Mac and scanned my MBPro's HD - below is a screen capture - different viewing mode options can be chosen; far left, shows my highlighted HD w/ capacity & used/available storage; in this view window the items in the columns can be expanded to show the exact sizes of your folders down to files. SO, just a consideration depending on what you desire? Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-11-22 at 11.31.34 AM.png

OP
G
Reaction score
Hi,
Gosh, thanks for all the replies !

I plan to use the file size info probably just once, although it would be nice to have
since I am used to it with er...that other operating system..that starts with W....

I might use it if I had it though.

I am transferring all files(that matter..)from a W based machine to an imac and unfortunately, there has been quite a lapse in time since I started and now am
able to get back to it. There's a bunch so I thought maybe total file size would be a
good way to check on what I already have on the imac and what's left on the other
machine. I am aware that you can tranfer via wifi but..we are pretty rural in location and
have hughesnet so there is a download limit. So I am doing it the old fashioned way...
via usb....groan....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi,
........I am transferring all files(that matter..)from a W based machine to an imac and unfortunately, there has been quite a lapse in time since I started and now am
able to get back to it. There's a bunch so I thought maybe total file size would be a
good way to check on what I already have on the imac and what's left on the other
machine. I am aware that you can tranfer via wifi but..we are pretty rural in location and
have hughesnet so there is a download limit. So I am doing it the old fashioned way...
via usb....groan....

Hi again Gary - check out these Link 1 & Link 2 for a lot of ideas, especially since you presumably have duplicates on both computers. A 1 TB external HD is inexpensive and would serve your needs for transfer, and then could be used on your new Mac for Time Machine. Dave :)

M

MacInWin

And transferring by WiFI, in your own network (basically, at home) nothing goes over the internet, so the hughesnet limit doesn't apply. They should transfer directly machine to machine.

OP
G
Reaction score
Again, thanks for ALL the replies !
And the info about satellite download too.

I will check out the links.

This forum is great !

Gary

M

MacInWin

Just make sure you don't upload to any internet site to transfer PC to Mac. You will probably need to attach the PC to the Mac as a drive. Maybe some here can give you step-by-step directions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Hi Gary, and I'm a bit late here, but as mentioned about putting a checkmark in the 'Calculate all sizes' for my "all my files" and also running OS 10.9.5, it's not possible because its greyed out.

But if you go to the View -> Arrange and choose Size, the List view will be grouped into size ranges that will give you a rough idea of the file sizes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.