Unable to re-install Leopard on iMac mid 2010

Reaction score
Hello, it's my 1st time post here and hope to have a help form any expertise.

My iMac mid 2010 (Leopard) wasn't allow my login since the past few days, it allows only boot safe and even tried many times with original DVD (grey disk) and different method. Yesterday, I have no choice to drags those important files & photos through Firewire 800 to thunderbolt port (TDM) and collecting data to another hard disk. Luckily, I don't lost any files since I wasn't backup.

However, my nightmare :'( is unable to re-install Leopard using my original DVD (grey disk). Perhaps, I was using my Macbook Air (TDM) to wipe the harddisk, because I thought that it can be clean installed again. But it's not work. It shown the icon of the DVD when boot start then I pressed "Return", it becomes fully white screen + some errors symbols on the bottom of screen after 8 minutes. Horrible situation because my iMac was functioning good so far and I wanted to keep using it longer. Does anyone can help me what should I do?

Many thanks. :*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
I very well may be wrong, but it is my understanding that a mid 2010 iMac would have come with Snow Leopard OS 10.6.

OP
K
Reaction score
Yes, you are right Snow Leopard but how can I resolve it? My iMac hardware was fine because I was using the D disk scanned without hardware problem.

I very well may be wrong, but it is my understanding that a mid 2010 iMac would have come with Snow Leopard OS 10.6.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yes, you are right Snow Leopard but how can I resolve it?

Same answer as Dogbreath gave…

The solution is you cannot install an OS X version older than your iMac is compatible with. The oldest OS you can install on your mid-2010 iMac is Snow Leopard (10.6). "Leopard" (10.5) cannot be installed…it is too old.

- Nick

Reaction score
You've probably updated Snow Leopard to 10.6.8 over the years and since it's newer you cant reinstall the original 10.6.
You're going to have to wipe the drive with the install disk booted and then reinstall and update.

OP
K
Reaction score
Yes, you are right, properly my Snow Leopard had been upgrade to 10.6.X over the years, but I have been wiped twice already the hard disk using TDM instead of using the install disk to boot & wipe the hard drive. I known that my step was wrong but I can't boot it using the install disk C. That's why I become headache that I don't what I should do. Can I using the "Adware Removal Guide" through TDM? As I can't boot up the iMac anymore. Thanks.

You've probably updated Snow Leopard to 10.6.8 over the years and since it's newer you cant reinstall the original 10.6.
You're going to have to wipe the drive with the install disk booted and then reinstall and update.

OP
K
Reaction score
Hi Nick

Yes, you're right. My one is Snow Leopard (10.6) but I am having the most difficulty is that I have wiped my hard disk using TDM mode because the original DVD doesn't able to boot at C and operate login normally. Now, I still can't install through the original DVD. Do you have any suggestion for me? Thanks.

QUOTE=pigoo3;1651766]Same answer as Dogbreath gave…

The solution is you cannot install an OS X version older than your iMac is compatible with. The oldest OS you can install on your mid-2010 iMac is Snow Leopard (10.6). "Leopard" (10.5) cannot be installed…it is too old.

- Nick[/QUOTE]

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
However, my nightmare :'( is unable to re-install Leopard using my original DVD (grey disk).

In post #1 this was mentioned.

My one is Snow Leopard (10.6) but I am having the most difficulty is that I have wiped my hard disk using TDM mode because the original DVD doesn't able to boot at C and operate login normally.

I think that we need to make sure of some details:

1. Did you purchase this computer brand new?
2. This gray disk…is the OS on it 10.5 (Leopard) or 10.6 (Snow Leopard)?
3. If you did purchase this computer brand new…is this the original disk that came with it?
4. If this computer was purchased used….where did the gray disk come from?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Again Ken Ken...Although you may have a Leopard (OS 10.5) disk, your iMac had OS 10.6 when purchased new. You cannot load Leopard (OS 10.5) on a machine that was purchased with Snow Leopard (10.6) installed. Please answer Nick's ???'s and then we can go from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I would be helpful to know what OS X version is currently installed and what the actual problem is, as unless I misread something, the OP can login using Safe Boot Mode, but not normally, is that the problem??

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yep, I'm a little confused too. I thought Ken Ken said that he had been running 10.5 originally, he did say reinstall. If so the computer cant be a mid 2010 model, if it is where did the 10.5 instal disks come from and how was he running 10.5 in the first instance?
Definitely need more info.

OP
K
Reaction score
Hello Nick, nice to have a help from you. Here are my short reply below:

In post #1 this was mentioned.

I think that we need to make sure of some details:

1. Did you purchase this computer brand new? Yes, brand new in end 2010
2. This gray disk…is the OS on it 10.5 (Leopard) or 10.6 (Snow Leopard)? 10.6 Snow Leopard, Original gray disk.
3. If you did purchase this computer brand new…is this the original disk that came with it? Yes. original disk came with the iMac.
4. If this computer was purchased used….where did the gray disk come from?No, It was brand new purchase.

- Nick

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
OK, now I get it. Perhapes what has happened is Ken Ken has erased the Macintosh HD partition completely. I would not have used a laptop utilising TDM to do this myself but thats just me. If I'm correct then the internal HD will need repartitioning and I'm not sure if that can be done with the installation DVD. It sounds like the Mac cannot boot from the disk. Being so old I cant remember if Network Boot will work with this model but worth a try? What does everyone else think? Restart holding Option key?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello Nick, nice to have a help from you. Here are my short reply below:

Ken Ken. Thanks for the additional info. One more question. What started this whole OS reinstall process in the first place (why did it need to be done)?

The reason why I'm asking is…I want to be able to determine if we are possibly (or not) dealing with hardware issues (such as the hard drive failing).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Well I'll wait for some more info from Ken Ken as I'm still not completely clear as to what's what. :Confused:

OP
K
Reaction score
Hi pm-r, the OS Snow Leopard for sure because I bought it brand new including the original DVD. Now, the problem is that I wiped the hard disk and wanted to re-install my DVD, doesn't work.

QUOTE=pm-r;1651834]I would be helpful to know what OS X version is currently installed and what the actual problem is, as unless I misread something, the OP can login using Safe Boot Mode, but not normally, is that the problem??[/QUOTE]

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...the OS Snow Leopard for sure because I bought it brand new including the original DVD. Now, the problem is that I wiped the hard disk and wanted to re-install my DVD, doesn't work.

Are you saying you have your original gray disk that came with the computer…AND a retail Snow Leopard install disk (white disk with a photo of a Snow Leopard on it)?

And if this is true…are you saying that both disks aren't working?

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
I believed that you are right, yes, I did erased the Macintosh HD partition and re-partition it using my Macbook air (TDM). Yes, the Mac can't boot from the disk now.

I never try Network Boot because I am not very familiar with Mac, because I am a normal user only. Besides, I am not next my iMac now as I am in the office.

I tried hold alter key, it just show the CD icon when started, no hard drive icon.

OK, now I get it. Perhapes what has happened is Ken Ken has erased the Macintosh HD partition completely. I would not have used a laptop utilising TDM to do this myself but thats just me. If I'm correct then the internal HD will need repartitioning and I'm not sure if that can be done with the installation DVD. It sounds like the Mac cannot boot from the disk. Being so old I cant remember if Network Boot will work with this model but worth a try? What does everyone else think? Restart holding Option key?

OP
K
Reaction score
Hello Nick

Yes, the original gray disk (Snow Leopard) came with the computer as I bought it brand new not used / 2nd hand. I never buy a retail Snow Leopard install disk as it's not necessary for me so far.

The gray disks are working fine, when I input the D one, it scanning the hardware with result fine. The C one is also fine, I have external disk reader and open it with my Macbook air, it's fine too.

Are you saying you have your original gray disk that came with the computer…AND a retail Snow Leopard install disk (white disk with a photo of a Snow Leopard on it)?

And if this is true…are you saying that both disks aren't working?

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Hi Nick

Thanks for your support as I am not very familiar with Mac, I hope that I can answer you properly.

The 1st step I did was:
I put the Disk C to reinstall it, then it show option to choose language, I chosen English then it go to next screen to show "agreement something" and "continue", I press "continue" after then, it hang (not running).

Tried 2nd time, Disk C, not showing next screen after the chosen the language.

Then, I input Disk D and doing scanning test. The result is all hardware are fine. No problem..

Finally, I decided wiped the hard disk (TDM) as I believe that I can boot it up after it clean the hard disk partition correctly.

Lastly, it doesn't work.... not sure whether is hard disk problem or not. If there is only a hard disk problem, I will buy a new hard disk and replace it myself may be..... Difficult task anyway.

Ken Ken. Thanks for the additional info. One more question. What started this whole OS reinstall process in the first place (why did it need to be done)?

The reason why I'm asking is…I want to be able to determine if we are possibly (or not) dealing with hardware issues (such as the hard drive failing).

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.