Unable to access the internet or send/receive emails.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I have an iMac 21 1/2 late 2009 running High Sierrra

All was fine until a little earlier this evening, but the 'boss'/better 1/2/wife came and told me that she couldn't get an internet site to come up.

On checking I found that using Firefox I couldn't get any site to come up, including the 192.168.1.etc. for the router. The connection was by ethernet. So I turned on the wifi connection and had the same result. I then had both ethernet and wifi turned on/connected.

Next I tried to send a test email to myself from the iMac. That didn't go either and just sat in the 'Outbox'. Next, I tried to send a test email from our MacBook Pro. That went and was received OK by the MBP but not by the iMac

I tried to access the internet using Safari. No access. So I tried to reboot the iMac and try the internet with the same result, no access.

Mt next try was to boot in safe mode with just Mail and Firefox, but still no access to either.

I wondered if there could be a contention problem with having both ethernet and wifi on so I disconnected the ethernet, but it didn't make any difference. I haven't had any problems with both on before when I have moved the MBP out of ethernet connection range and forgot to turn wifi off on reconnecting the ethernet

I had a look at the router config from the MBP and saw that the iMac is disconnected on both the ethernet and wifi.

I an sorry if this is a little confused, but I am totally confused and have tried everything I can think of? Any help would be greatfully taken, but I have to get to bed now as my brain cell is nick-nacked!:[:Confused::Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Maybe reset your home network? Or power cycle through all connected devices?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Maybe reset your home network? Or power cycle through all connected devices?

And if that doesn't work or fix your problem, give your ISP tech a call by old fashioned telephone.

PS: Your System Prefs > Network > Assist Me can sometimes be helpful. Just follow the instructions and/or options.

The same thing happened here today but it suddenly came back on-line as I was calling our ISP tech support.

- Patrick
======

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Well folks, you have starred yet again and thank you.

I switched off my BT Hub router, left it for 5 minutes while I got my first cuppa of the day, tea of course! Then switched it back on again and hey presto all is well again.

I was very tired last night and this morning I thought about changing the ethernet channel on the router, but on reflection that wouldn't have effected the wifi would it.

Anyway, if it happens again I will get on to BT, my ISP, and start asking questions. So once again thank you folks!! :D:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Anyway, if it happens again I will get on to BT, my ISP, and start asking questions.

If your BT reference is to "BlueTooth", it is NOT what you want to use for Internet/router access if it's even possible.

Ethernet, cable, and/or Wi-Fi, wireless, should be your choices.

- Patrick
======

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had to re read that a couple of times Patrick ??

BT = British Telecoms, my ISP :D:D It didn't dawn on me that it might be taken as bluetooth..

Anyway, no worries now. All is fine and dandy. :Cool::Cool: and working too.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It has to be the lack of that good French Wine you were used to John!

LOL. :rofl

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't worry Chas, I make up for that with good English beer :loveit:loveit:giggle

BUT, we have found a lovely organic farm that also sells French wine and one of those comes from about 10 km from where we used to live and produced by a very good friend of a very good friend of ours :D:D The main difference with it is the price :eek:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.