Ubuntu on a Macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz/1GB RAM/250 GB HDD
I want to try Ubuntu and was wondering how difficult it is to install it using Boot Camp I have never tried anything like this before and have never used any form of Linux before.

I downloaded Bootcamp and Ubuntu is downloading now. It is still a while a way from finishing.

Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
The ubuntu you download will be a live CD. Burn it to a CD or DVD. You can put it in and restart the computer and hold down c while boooting and try it out before installing it. I used it for a bit and wasnt too imressed with it. You wont be able to install any more programs with the live CD. But you can try out the OS. I had it installed with parallels and found it a pain to install stuff. And I think im pretty good with computers. I dont have windows or ubuntu on my macbook anymore. They ended up just taking up space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
There is a way to install Ubuntu via Boot Camp (even though it's technically only for Windows XP SP2) but like fyrman22 said, I suggest checking out the LiveCD first.

May I ask why you want to install Ubuntu on your Mac? If it's for development purposes, you might be better off getting yourself VMWare Fusion or Parallels as then you can run Ubuntu side by side with OS X.

OP
plusfortyfour
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz/1GB RAM/250 GB HDD
Just curiosity...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Intel Core Duo
Having installed ubuntu on a pc three times and going through the head ache and disappointments of having so many cool things almost work, I can tell you that OS X leaves nothing to be desired except maybe Beryl. Other than that, save yourself the trouble

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2GHz 1GB RAM 120GB HDD
I was actually thinking of dual booting into Ubuntu as well today. Let me know how it goes for you. I have heard great things about Ubuntu, especially with Beryl, and I want to give it a try.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.