Ubuntu as main OS... How to restore to OSX?

Reaction score
Currently have a Imac running Ubuntu only without any OSX on the computer.... I need to know how to remove Ubuntu and bring the Imac back to factory settings with OSX.

C

chas_m

Yeah, that's going to be a bit tricky ... need more specifics on what model of iMac we're talking about in order to provide a workable answer ...

OP
Luckbonfire
Reaction score
It's a Intel Core i3 CPU 550 @ 3.20Ghz x 4
Please let me know if you need more info, and what info you need. Thanks!!

C

chas_m

Not sure what all those specs mean ... there's no 3.2GHz x 4 ... no idea what the 550 is for ...

But I think you're saying you have the mid-2010 iMac 3.2GHz, either the 21.5-inch or the 27-inch. If you could clarify that it would be helpful.

On the assumption that it is one of those two models, you seriously lucked out. Both of them are capable of running Snow Leopard, which you can order a DVD of from Apple for $20 (assuming you no longer have the original DVDs that came with the machine). Use the DVD to erase the hard drive (after you get asked the language choice, you'll have the option to not proceed with installation and instead run Disk Utility from the menubar), then you can install OS X 10.6.8 on the machine.

Both of those models, if I'm not mistaken, can go up to 16GB of RAM, but only the 27-inch can be upgraded in this manner. If you're lucky enough to have that one, I would strongly suggest maxing out the RAM on that unit, then using the Mac App Store to upgrade to Yosemite. OWC claims that you can upgrade the RAM in a 21.5-inch mid-2010 iMac but I'll be that's an ugly job-and-a-half.

OP
Luckbonfire
Reaction score
I picked it up used for $350..... Couldn't pass it up.
I have a late 2009 27" iMac I bought new and the used one looks just like it only it's the 21.5" model.
I'll order Snow Leopard on DVD and get this process going.

Thank you so much for your help!!!

OP
Luckbonfire
Reaction score
Am I able to use the disks from one iMac to another? Say use the disks from my late 09' iMac to the used one?

OP
Luckbonfire
Reaction score
I'm in the process of erasing the hard drive. I've inserted the disk and started the iMac while holding the option button down. I chose the disk to start from and got it to the white screen with the grey apple and now I've been waiting..... Does it take a while to the install mac OSX screen so I can proceed with erasing the drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
With the DVD in, reboot and hold down 'C' to boot from the DVD. Leave Installer, go to utilities > Disk Utility > Erase. Format Mc OS Extended, and under Partition . Options make sure GUId is selected. Back to Installer and proceed.

If it won't work alas wrong disc for that model as chas m indicated. Buy a Snow Leopard OS X.6 DVD from Apple Online for $20 including postage. Then follow above procedure.

OP
Luckbonfire
Reaction score
With the DVD in, we rebooted and held down "C" and got the same results as before. The disk we're using is the DVD bought from Apple OS 10.6.3 for $20.......
Do I need to use an older or new OS?

Last edited:
OP
Luckbonfire
Reaction score
Tried booting while holding "C" and also tried booting while holding option and both get me as far as the white screen with the grey apple logo and then nothing further...... Any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If your iMac was running Ubuntu, then it suffered from "brain damage" caused by GRUB. Trying to boot it without resetting the parameters probably is not going to work. If you have the correct Snow Leopard DVD, before trying to boot with it, reset the PRAM-NVRAM and then try again.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...then it suffered from "brain damage" caused by GRUB.

Nice one Charlie!:) We don't run across this too often!

This may qualify as "Most Unusual Help Post of the Day!":)

- Nick

OP
Luckbonfire
Reaction score
"brain damage" lol!!
I really appreciate everyones help!!
I followed the directions for the reset.... On the second startup sound I released the keys and held down the option key to bring up the disk so as not to boot back to Ubuntu. Once the disk was brought up on the screen, clicked on it, and I'm back to the white screen and grey apple and no further.....
Any other ideas? Something I did wrong?

OP
Luckbonfire
Reaction score
Also, I've never even heard of this Ubuntu before getting this computer.... What is it, and why would someone totally strip an iMac of any Mac OS and strictly run Ubuntu?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Ubuntu is a type of Linux operating system. Is Ubuntu still on the machine, in other words, will the iMac boot to Ubuntu?

The PRAM reset should have cleared the stored parameters and allowed you to do a clean boot from the Snow Leopard DVD (if it's the correct DVD).

OP
Luckbonfire
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay.
Ubuntu is still on the machine, and yes it will boot straight to Ubuntu if started without pressing option or "C"....
What am I missing?

OP
Luckbonfire
Reaction score
Also, you keep mentioning "if i have the correct DVD".
I stated earlier in the thread I am using the DVD bought from Apple OS 10.6.3 for $20...
Is this the correct DVD?
I've also attached a photo of the DVD for you guys to verify weather or not I've got the right DVD.

Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 5.34.01 PM.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sorry for the delay.
Ubuntu is still on the machine, and yes it will boot straight to Ubuntu if started without pressing option or "C"....
What am I missing?

The minimum OS for this computer is OS 10.6.3 (which just so happens to be the exact OS version mentioned on the Snow Leopard retail disk you have).:)

Given the fact that you are having problems booting from the Snow Leopard disk...maybe the disk is dirty/damaged (maybe unlikely since it is new). Or the iMac's optical drive is dirty/damaged. You could try blowing some "canned air" in the optical drive slot to see if that helps. If not. Then maybe the optical drive is busted.

Since this computer (I think from what I'm reading) can boot into Ubuntu...does the optical drive work when running Ubuntu?

Another thing you could try (especially if the 2010 iMac's optical drive is busted) is "Target Disk Mode" (if both computers have a Firewire port, and you have a Firewire cable):

How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode - Apple Support

I'm not 100% sure if you can install the OS from one computer to another using Target Disk Mode. I think that you can. I seem to remember doing it about 5 years ago (hard to remember some times)!;)

You would connect the two computers via the firewire cable...boot the 27" iMac with the Snow Leopard disk...and install Snow Leopard on the 21" iMac (of course read the link for the exact details).:)

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
At the risk of being leaped upon Luckbonfire, wait for it, it is a thing greenies and yuppies love, Linux, and there as many versions almost as Mac OS X. Try that holding down 'C' after PRAm reset. If the disc opens, leave Installer and go to utilities etc.as set out earlier.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.