Typing in Spanish

Reaction score
How can I type in Spanish on my Mac Mini? I am using Word 2003 for Mac. I have already changed the keyboard input language to Spanish. I get all of the Spanish characters except the accents on the vowels. On a Spanish keyboard (at least on a PC or Chromebook), those are usually formed by typing the apostrophe followed by the vowel. That does not work here. I realize you can do these marks by switching the keyboard back to English and then typing option + e and then the vowel you want accented. But that means I have to switch the keyboard back to English to type certain Spanish letters. That's pretty annoying. Also, I want the keyboard to be in Spanish because I want spell check to be for Spanish, not English. If I use the English keyboard to make all of the Spanish characters (I realize there is a way to do this) I will have English spell check, but I really need the Spanish spell check to be on. What am I to do? I have a perfectly good Mac desktop and I am at the point where I think I will end up having to use my Chromebook laptop or PC laptop instead. Please help. There must be some solution. Can this really be such a big FAIL by Apple?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There must be some solution. Can this really be such a big FAIL by Apple?

First of all, if you switch your input language to Spanish, it will spell check in Spanish. So I don't know where you're getting that from? We sometimes use our input language in Korean and it spell checks Korean just fine.

And, blaming it on Apple is ridiculous. Buy a Spanish keyboard as suggested above. :Not-Amused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Considering there never was Office 2003 think we may have caught one.

OP
D
Reaction score
@ ankhseeker and chscag

I agree that if you change the input language (i.e., change the keyboard to a Spanish language keyboard), there is spell-check in Spanish.

When I switch the keyboard to Spanish, it gives me all of the Spanish characters except the accented vowels. And there is no way that I can see to type them except to switch the keyboard to English and type them on the English keyboard. In order to type ' í ', for example, I have to change the keyboard back to English, then type option + e and then i. Then I have to change the keyboard back to Spanish. I would have to keep switching back and forth between English and Spanish keyboards every time I have to write an accented vowel, which I have to do frequently.

The other option is to just use the English keyboard to type ALL of the spanish symbols. This is possible on a Mac. For example, to type ' ¡ ', you type option + 1. To type ' ñ ' you type option + shift + n. So I could get away with using an English keyboard to write in Spanish. But if I do this, I don't have spell check as I am writing. Yes, I could write a paragraph in Spanish using the English keyboard, switch the Keyboard to Spanish, get the spell check, make changes, and then switch back to the English keyboard and write more in Spanish. That's a bit of a pain in the butt.

BUYING a spanish keyboard as you both suggest makes no sense. The only difference between a Spanish and English keyboard is that the keys have different symbols on them to identify the letter you will type when you press it. I already know where all of the Spanish letters are on the keyboard. What makes a keyboard a Spanish Keyboard is the setting in system preferences, not the keyboard itself.

OP
D
Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I am talking about 2003 being Windows. The Mac version is Office 2004.

M

MacInWin

On my English keyboard, Fn plus the letter key, held for a bit, opens a window with all the alternatives for they key. Does that work in the Spanish keyboard?

SAMPLES: ñ ń í

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi MacinWin

There is no Function key on my keyboard

What kind of keyboard are you using? Jake was referring to an Apple keyboard which does have a Fn key. The Apple wired keyboard has a Fn key, the wireless keyboard does not.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It's a wired keyboad

Come on man…give us some details!;) Make it easy for us to help you!:)

What KEYBOARD is it?? An Apple keyboard or a non-Apple keyboard? And either way…what keyboard is it??

I'm guessing that if you are using Office 2004…that your Mac-Mini is an older model…and thus your keyboard may be pretty old as well. So all the harder for us to "guess" what you are using!

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple's Pro Keyboard. It's about two years old, as is the Mini.

Below is an image. There's no Function key.

Thanks for the info.:) But…there's no way that's a 2 year-old keyboard. Apple stopped selling this style keyboard probably around 2005/2006 maybe even before that (and it could be older than that).

Also…if this is a 2 year old Mac-Mini…then it would be a 2012 model. And there's no way you are running the Macintosh version of Office 2004. If you're running Office 2003 (Windows version)…then you must have Windows installed on your Mac.

Please clarify what Mac-Mini model you have. And again…no way…that's a 2 year old keyboard. But if it's what you're using…it's what you're using.:)

- Nick

p.s. And by the way. The Apple Pro Keyboard you linked of course has function keys. It has a complete row of function keys across the top of the keyboard!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 iMac 21.5; 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5; 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Mojave.
I'm playing around with Word 2011. If I click the flag in the menu bar to switch to Spanish, and also select Show Character Viewer and Show Keyboard Viewer, I think I could output any character configuration you can imagine, without switching back to English.

On the keyboard, just start playing around with one (or combinations) of command, option, control, and shift, and see what shows on the keyboard.

If that doesn't give you what you want, scroll through the Character Viewer and simply double-click the character you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 iMac 21.5; 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5; 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Mojave.
The Apple Pro Keyboard you linked of course has function keys. It has a complete row of function keys across the top of the keyboard!

Just to be fair to the OP, I'm sure that what he was saying is that because he has a row of dedicated single-purpose function keys, he doesn't have or need an "fn" control key.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just to be fair to the OP, I'm sure that what he was saying is that because he has a row of dedicated single-purpose function keys, he doesn't have or need an "fn" control key.

The problem is…the OP is not providing enough information in their posts…which is making helping difficult.:(

Internet forums are text-based…so we only know what someone types in a post. Maybe what you mentioned is what the OP means to say…but if the OP doesn't say it…then it may or may not be true. It's usually best to let the OP tell us what the deal is…then we know 100% what is going on.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@DanShab. Sorry…I saw in a later post that you mentioned you are actually running Office 2008 (versus Office 2003/2004). Which makes more sense if you have a 2012 Mac-Mini.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Reading through this thread this morning reminds me of an offshoot on the old riddle -- how do you do you spell way without an "f"…

But in this case especially -- how do you spell key without an "f"… :D

But to help out the OP, an app like PopChar may help fot typing the characters needed if they need more than Character and/or Keyboard Viewer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.