Two Mac mini’s, no video

GrouchyNerd

Reaction score
I have two Mac mini’s, both 2012, one i5 and one i7, and neither display any video when plugged in to an LG 1080p display. I have changed HDMI cables. Both chime at boot, but no display. No Apple logo, nothing. I have tried suggestions I found online, SMC reset, reset PRAM, checked memory. Just not sure what to try from here. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

That would appear either the LG has a problem or you somehow have defective hdmi cables. Best trouble shooting at this time would be to try another monitor. Let us know.

OP
G

GrouchyNerd

Reaction score
That’s what I’ve been thinking. The LG worked fine with the i7 attached. It was quite sudden when it stopped. The fan was maxed and the machine froze. On reboot no video. The LG works fine with a PC. Still, I’m going to try another monitor and see what happens.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have two Mac mini’s, both 2012, one i5 and one i7, and neither display any video when plugged in to an LG 1080p display. I have changed HDMI cables. Both chime at boot, but no display. No Apple logo, nothing. I have tried suggestions I found online, SMC reset, reset PRAM, checked memory. Just not sure what to try from here. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
If you know 100% that these 2 Mac-Mini's work fine...and the LG monitor works fine...it's possible the LG monitor needs its settings changed (via its own onboard builtin settings menu).

I have a couple (probably older monitors...maybe 5-7 years old)...that don't always auto detect when connected to a different computer.

For example...if I have one of these monitors connected to a Mac-Mini via HDMI...if I then plug the same monitor into let's say to a MacBook Pro via a mini-displayport...the monitor may not auto-detect the different video port.

The solution in this case could possibly be going into the LG's built-in settings menu...and primarily double checking that the video port connection type is correct...but also possibly checking the monitor resolution setting, and anything else that may apply.

HTH,

Nick

OP
G

GrouchyNerd

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I have a free day Wednesday, and I’m planning on trying to get it to work. I’ll post my results tomorrow.

OP
G

GrouchyNerd

Reaction score
So I have one machine working. But apparently when I swap memory from the other one 8GB vs 4GB, it doesn’t. So now I’m going to play around with finding the bad memory. Progress, at least

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good progress. Does sound like there's a RAM issue.

Post #1 says neither of these 2012 Mac-Mini's were working. How did you get one of them working?

Have you owned these 2012 Mac-Mini's since new...or did you purchase them used recently?

Nick

OP
G

GrouchyNerd

Reaction score
That was the i5 model. I turned it on, waited a bit, and turned on the monitor, and I got a picture! I would rather run the i7 model, so I’m going to try to switch the RAM. I’m not hopeful, as I think that one is the video out.
They were purchased second hand, but both had video. I only need one though.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That was the i5 model. I turned it on, waited a bit, and turned on the monitor, and I got a picture!
Thanks for the info.:)

Are we saying the no video issue with the 2012 i5 Mac-Mini is unknown...since now it's working? Just curious in case there was a fix that others could benefit from in the future.

Good luck with the i7 Mac-Mini...hopefully it can be made operational too.

Nick

OP
G

GrouchyNerd

Reaction score
I’m sorry. It was suggested that the issue could be the display. It does switch between different machines. I guess it wasn’t syncing to the minis output? But it seemed to work. So I’m blaming the monitor for now, but the process is ongoing. Time is not available right now unfortunately. I very much appreciate the comments and support. If I can determine the exact cause I will write it out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.