Two-factor turning off

Reaction score
Hello.

Fed up with being asked to find an iPad and type in 6-digit codes onto my Mac, I thought the easiest way would be to turn off two-factor authentication.

Which, according to many on the web, I can't do! Apple seem to say you CAN turn it off, but their instructions get vague and peter out.

Is there a way of turning off two-factor authentication? I get to 'security' on my Apple ID page, and there it is listed, with a radio-button, but no off switch.

Help!

Ta.

Allen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
You cannot turn it off if it has been in place more than 14 days. If it's any consolation, there is a lawsuit against Apple over this policy, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that. One way I have made it less painful is to make sure the contact information includes all my devices as "trusted" so that the code appears in Messages on my Mac.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks Jake. I suppose wiping and reinstalling from scratch might do it - if ever I have a spare day I might try it...

Allen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope. It's controlled by Apple and tied to your AppleID account. Wiping won't change it.

Reaction score
Fed up with being asked to find an iPad and type in 6-digit codes onto my Mac, I thought the easiest way would be to turn off two-factor authentication.

I'm fed up with this as well. I wonder how often it happens to you?

In my case it happens every time I log in to an Apple service even when I'm using the same machine in the same location with the same browser (Safari) which I have told Apple I trust. Still, every darn time.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Macinwin’s reply is definitely the best answer. Yes, I know it can be a pain sometimes but honestly the security if offers really is worth the hassle. I have two friends on Facebook who had their accounts pirated this week and when I asked them were they using 2SV both said no. I faced the fact that the security was worth the effort a while back and now just try to manage it as easily and effectively as possible.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I 10000% agree with Rod on this. Well worth the security it provides. MY FB account was hacked also by someone with a new iPhone XS Max. I was locked out of my account.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
In my case it happens every time I log in to an Apple service even when I'm using the same machine in the same location with the same browser (Safari) which I have told Apple I trust. Still, every darn time.

You are quite correct - same location, same trusted browser, same trusted Mac - but just to remind others (not necessarily you, Mike) that if you use a VPN, that will not only change your location, but your ISP address as well and, you would be asked for 2FA.

Ian

Reaction score
As I've written before, it baffles me that Apple would use an IP address to determine your location. They can't be unaware of the fact that many of us have dynamic IPs that change all the time. And certainly they must be aware of the huge inaccuracies in the IP location database. And, it's especially baffling that 2FA is required for a device for which you have enabled "Find My ... ". Apple knows exactly where my iMac is:

IMG_1697.jpg
Yep, there it is. Right where it always is. Hasn't changed since the day I bought it.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Mike

You may well be correct as regards the ISP address! It's just what I've read previously - can't find the article now - it was a while back.

I think we would all agree that a VPN, by definition, changes your location; and it certainly disguises your true ISP. But whether the change of ISP matters at all, is cast in doubt by your wise comments.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Yep, there it is. Right where it always is. Hasn't changed since the day I bought it.

Neat, now we know exactly where Mike lives and seems nice enough, without disclosing too much but it should look familiar: ;-)

Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 8.11.36 PM.png

- Patrick
======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I had the impression that it was not so much the IP address as the location. If I use a VPN constantly (as I do) I only get a query if I change the location. So, so long as I select Melbourne no problem. But if I use "smart select" which turns out to be Singapore I get queried not only by Apple but I get an "unexpected activity" alert on my @live.com account but not @gmail.com account. Maybe they already know where I am, or they don't care to check. After all I have 2FA on my Google account too

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can also see the "movement" phenomenon when you go back to sites you have visited before and get the "we use cookies" warning again and again. They see a different IP number, so they push out the warning so that they are in compliance with the EU requirements. Annoying, frankly.

It's the price of security.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
@Rod
I only get a query if I change the location. So, so long as I select Melbourne no problem. But if I use "smart select" which turns out to be Singapore I get queried not only by Apple but I get an "unexpected activity" alert on my @live.com account but not @gmail.com account. Maybe they already know where I am, or they don't care to check. After all I have 2FA on my Google account too

I'm sure you caught and read Randy Singer's "joke" whith his #44 post???: Makes one think twice and it used to be funny, now, not so much as the reality hits home.

- Patrick
======
Joke of the Day (Warning some jokes may cause laughter)!!! : )

Reaction score
Macinwin’s reply is definitely the best answer. Yes, I know it can be a pain sometimes but honestly the security if offers really is worth the hassle. I have two friends on Facebook who had their accounts pirated this week and when I asked them were they using 2SV both said no. I faced the fact that the security was worth the effort a while back and now just try to manage it as easily and effectively as possible.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

While obviously I agree about the security benefits, that seems to be beside the point here. Shouldn't users have the option to opt out at their own risk? What's next? Requiring all users to use FileVault?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
While obviously I agree about the security benefits, that seems to be beside the point here. Shouldn't users have the option to opt out at their own risk? What's next? Requiring all users to use FileVault?

And that's exactly what the current class action law suit says. Apple, however, appears to be between a "Rock and a Hard Place" with this one. Folks who have had their accounts hacked blame Apple for the lack of security and those users who are annoyed by 2FA are suing Apple.

Apple does need to simplify 2FA so that it's not as complex as it appears to be now. Tighter security for accounts of all types (not just Apple) is here to stay and unfortunately the price we have to pay to stay safe.

Reaction score
Neat, now we know exactly where Mike lives and seems nice enough, without disclosing too much but it should look familiar: ;-)

Thank you so much. If anyone drops by please bring beer.

- - - Updated - - -

I had the impression that it was not so much the IP address as the location.

Where do you think the location comes from?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.