trying to figure out darwin

T

TylerMoney

Hello all.

I am new to mac, and even more new to Darwin. I was wondering if somebody could give me some basic commands, so I can start exploring it and understanding it better.

I know how to get to the hidden games within Darwin....so I know how to open emacs....but I don't know what it is.

also, I know the top and ifconfig commands.....that's about it...so yeah...any help, suggestions, or places I could go to learn more would be great.

Thanks a lot

OP
M

masaka___

TylerMoney said:
Hello all.

I am new to mac, and even more new to Darwin. I was wondering if somebody could give me some basic commands, so I can start exploring it and understanding it better.

I know how to get to the hidden games within Darwin....so I know how to open emacs....but I don't know what it is.

Emacs is a religion masquerading as a text editor. It is diametrically opposed to vi (another religion masquerading as a text editor).

http://www.emacswiki.org/

To exit emacs, type Ctrl-X Ctrl-C.

To exit vi, hit ESC; then type ':qa!' without the single quotes and then press Enter.

also, I know the top and ifconfig commands.....that's about it...so yeah...any help, suggestions, or places I could go to learn more would be great.

Thanks a lot

List files in a directory
ls

List files more verbosely
ls -l

See a list of a bunch of other unix commands
ls -l /usr/bin

Make the output of a command scrollable by piping it through 'less'
ls -l /usr/bin | less

Read the manual for a command
man COMMMAND

(Example: man ls)

Change directories
cd DIR

(Example: cd /usr/bin ; cd /etc)

Change back to the home directory
cd ~
(or just)
cd

Go back to the last directory you were at
cd -

Go to the root directory
cd /

Configure the OS from the command line
defaults

(Example: defaults read com.apple.desktop Background)

Open a file with the default application
open FILE

(Example: open ~/Pictures)

Download something from the web
curl -O URL

(Example: curl -O http://www.apple.com/index.html)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.