Trying to create bookmarks in Safari

Reaction score
Roch, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, Wales
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Retina 5K 27inches 2017 Sierra 10.12.6 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5. 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4. Radeon 5
Hello friends,

I've printed off a small article, attempting to advise me, how to create bookmarks in Safari.

I'm afraid I couldn't follow the advice, in a way that made sense to me. Also, while using windows 7, I couldn't do bookmarks in google chrome. I suppose I'm a bit stupid. All the websites that I liked, I had to write down in an address book, so they were filed alphabetically. But before I used windows 7 or google chrome, I was using internet explorer for many years, and enjoyed using their favourites function.

This afternoon, I attempted to save 3 walking websites into Bookmarks. I named a bookmark as " Walking websites and information. " I typed a search into google and came across 3 websites that I liked. So I clicked on bookmarks and a box opened and I had to type in the name of the folder I created, and I believed I then added bookmark. The new bookmark I added then appeared underneath Favourites. I thought what next. What I did next, was click on the bookmark and drag it onto the folder name. So the website name now sat below the folder's title. I repeated this 2 more times. There must be an easier way to do this.

If I carry on doing this, as I've explained above, I'll have to start keeping a notebook with the names of all the folders I want to keep. Can you help please?

Frank.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Frank

Let's say you're a web page you like and want to Bookmark that page. Say your post on this Forum.

The Keyboard shortcut - Command + D.

This brings up a window like this:

S1.png

From here, you can click on the arrowheads and get various options for where you want to store the Bookmark.

First option "Favourites" which puts it on the top menu of Safari.

Don't want it there - fine. If you have already saved bookmarks other than in "Favourites", it will show these and allow you to add to that list.

That list can be accessed and seen by Clicking on Bookmarks > Show Bookmarks or by Clicking on the Bookmarks Sidebar icon:

S3.jpg

From here you can create Folders, for example, General, Books, Hobbies, Music, Walking etc. Then you can save your subsequent Bookmarks into one of these Folders.

(You might notice in my first screenshot above that "General" is shown. If I clicked on the arrowheads, all my Folders would show up and I could save a Bookmark to any one of them.)

See if this helps. Come back and ask away as much as you like. For example, you can Edit Bookmarks to change the name to anything you want.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
If I carry on doing this, as I've explained above, I'll have to start keeping a notebook with the names of all the folders I want to keep. Can you help please?

To add to Ian's nice explanation, there are lots of different sites with explanations and tutorials, videos and pictures.

Maybe have a look at some of the hits for some method that will suit you such as:
how to create bookmarks in Safari tutorial
https://www.google.ca/search?client...F-8&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=Cen_Wc-LNbje-AO-urL4Dg
and
how to create bookmarks in Safari
https://www.google.ca/search?client...F-8&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=xuj_WdP7I5On-QO7mZCoAw

And maybe, almost more important: And something I need to get my "'round TUIT' out to update mine…
managing bookmarks in Safari
https://www.google.ca/search?client...F-8&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=KOv_WbTyDMfe8Ae58bSwCg

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey Sly:

I think you replied to the wrong thread - unless there's something that I'm missing?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
No. You're right. I intended that to go in a different thread. think I will move it as soon as I find the thread I intended for it to go into.

Edit: Post moved to correct thread. Thanks Charlie

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.