Trying to add Windows 8 on imac using Boot Camp and CD share

Reaction score
I'm trying to use Boot Camp to install Windows 8 on an iMac. The iMac doesn't have a cd drive but I have another imac that does. My Windows 8 is on a CD. I have tried using Remote Disc and gotten access to the CD but it is not recognized in Boot Camp. I get to a message that says "The installer disc cannot be found." Can I use the CD player from another imac or can I download a version of Windows 8 using my key? I have not been successful trying to do either. Thanks for any help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to read through the Boot Camp instructions, especially those which show you how to install Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 on a Mac that does not have an optical drive.

Briefly: Use your Windows 8 DVD and a burning program to burn the DVD to an iso. Place the iso on a USB flash drive. Install that way. Of course there are more steps to the installation which is why you need to go through the Boot Camp instructions. Our advice is to print them out and follow along that way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.