Trustworthy Scam Detection Sites?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Has anyone found a trustworthy scam detection site? I use Trustpilot to see buyers’ experiences (assuming Trustpilot and/or contributors can be believed!) but there are times when it comes up with no results. Another site, fakespot.com, apparently detects fake reviews appearing on larger vendor sites. I have also been using scamvoid.net to delve deeper into the vendor sites themselves. This helps to see other useful info, eg how long the site has been registered, who owns it etc. (Amazon fingerprints all over quite a few). I then came across another scam detection site called (unsurprisingly) scam-detector.com which seems to reckon that scamvoid is a con. Who to believe? Has anyone got any tried and tested fraud/scam/malware tester sites that they refer to before making a purchase or running anything on their mac etc? This is a useful article on spotting fraud https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-to-spot-a-fake-fraudulent-or-scam-website However, going through all the useful checks it recommends is quite time consuming. I’m looking for a trustworthy site or sites that actually run(s) all these checks automatically.
If there isn't a proper copper-bottomed gold-standard one out there, maybe it's something Mac Forums could set up?...

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
A task like this is can never be finished and the best anyone can do is provide generic advice. But at the end of the day, the onus is on you to ensure that you are doing good by yourself.

Understand that everything is largely gamed on the Internet. People who are satisfied with their purchase seldom report on it, whereas people who are very dissatisfied (regardless of the reason) complain a lot and this skews the trend one way or another.

Rather than looking for something that will give you information across the board, I recommend looking at information about a specific thing and doing your research on that one product. I generally don't spend a ton of time worrying about things up to a certain dollar amount.

However, recently I wanted to upgrade my TV and sound system in the living room and spent a month or more researching all the latest TV brands, technologies, models and so on until I finally settled on one that made sense for me. I then repeated the process for sound system and made my decision. I believe I made the best decision for me as to what to purchase and then it was the process of finding what I wanted at a reputable vendor and buying it. In my case, the TV came through Amazon and the sound bar from Costco.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Just assume that *every* site is a scam. If you want to buy on the net, buy from reputable companies, don't go to strange sellers, and use the old adage, "If it's too good to be true, it isn't." Don't give out your credit card or debit card number freely, and never, never give your bank information to anybody on the net for anything. I buy with Apple Pay or PayPal from national vendors only.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks RazorEdge and MacInWin. Yes, that's largely my thinking re all your points - but sometimes it's finding that 'reputable vendor' that's the difficult bit - esp if your trusted vendors don't stock the item. Or if one is trying to avoid the multi-tentacled Amazon. Today I found a business checking site which might also be worth exploring trustedcompanyreviews.com
Interesting comments there re Trustpilot!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bear in mind that competitors often "review" the competition and, wonder of wonders, find it "lacking" in some way. If one wanted to compete with Trustpilot, one could make comments about it not being trustworthy, or non-responsive, or some other criticism that may or may not be valid. Anything to diminish the competition. So, as I said, treat EVERY site as a scam. If you have a product you want, go to the manufacturer's site and ask there for authorized vendors. Most manufacturers have that feature. Then shop at one of the authorized vendors. That's what I do. And I NEVER, EVER click on a link I have been sent, no matter where I think it came from. If I see something I might want in an email allegedly from Home Depot, for example, I type in Home Detpot's web address. Never click a link. Never. Ever.

OP
W
Reaction score
Completely absolutely agree, MacInWin. I NEVER, EVER buy ANYTHING via Amazon. Never. Ever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
If you have a product you want, go to the manufacturer's site and ask there for authorized vendors.

I tried that this week, company called Mr. Spice. Turns out they don't sell their products at brick and mortar stores in the US. (...in Canada, yes, although the company is based in Rhode Island) They will sell to you directly online or on the phone, or through Amazon. That's it. Why they like Satan's retailer is beyond me. :devil:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Completely absolutely agree, MacInWin. I NEVER, EVER buy ANYTHING via Amazon. Never. Ever.

That's completely ridiculous. Amazon is one of the safest sites to purchase items from and has probably one of the best return policies of any on line retailer.

Purchasing from Amazon is safe. Even purchasing from an Amazon reseller is safe provided they are a valid Amazon sponsored reseller. Amazon warrants items purchase from resellers and has the same return policy.

Perhaps Amazon UK is not what you expected it to be?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do buy from Amazon. I just don't click on links that supposedly take me to Amazon, I go there directly. The only exception to that is the link on this site, so that the site gets credit for the click. But I don't click on links sent in emails.

That said, I don't always trust the Amazon reviews. The tactics I described happen there, too. If I see multiple reviews with very similar wording, good or bad, I discount them as a bot review.

Just be smart about it, not paranoid.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone 13

What!!

I have been using Amazon for well in excess of 20 years and have found their service to be exceptional.

On only two occasions items I had ordered arrived with slight damage. I was given an immediate discount over the phone for one of them and a replacement was sent, and received, the next day for the other.

I certainly take care reading reviews on Amazon and always check other sites who sell the same product as well. Never been disappointed.

Even though I live in the UK I have also bought items off the US Amazon site and European ones and had them delivered to the UK without problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
For any US residents, or people with US based credit cards, the safest way to buy on line (or in a store) is with a credit card. The Federal Trade Commission mandates a fraud liability limit of 50.00 USD. There are many exceptions where even the $ 50.00 is not due. Also note that credit card issuers are typically good about jumping in to help.

Never use a debit card or a pre-paid credit card. These don't have the protection. If you're looted dry- it is gone forever. And, as Jake strongly suggested, keep your bank account numbers on complete lock down. If a vendor wants gift cards instead of normal payment, run fast & far.

Some good starting-point sites for scam information are:
and
and

These sites aren't specifically for finding a list of all the scammers, but provide a good education & starting place.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Take On The Amazon Side Track Started Above:
Amazon & I aren't really good buddies. They are my "Vendor Of Last Resort". Whenever I end up using them, I have to go to confession & tell the parish Priest that I committed a sin against the earth.

I very much dislike Amazon's environmental foot print.
My next door neighbors are Prime members & get multiple deliveries every day- 7 days a week. (They're the kings of consumption. New Television in- Old one in the trash. Repeat next week. New bike, tool box, computer, etc in... On the positive side, their recycle bin is like brand new.)

One day I was working outside and counted 8 Prime trucks within one hour. I asked one of the drivers if they each come from different place. He said- No, we're all from the same warehouse- about 32 miles (& 45 mins to 1+ driving hour) away. The guy went on to say he may go from the warehouse to one address with one package, then back to the warehouse. No other stops.

Once I bought a micro SD card & a HDMI cable. The SD came in a 6 - 6 - 6 inch Amazon box. The HDMI cable came in a (separate) 6 -6 - 6 box- both in the same UPS delivery. Tee shirt- same thing- a big box. (That could be in an envelope.)

The big packages take up truck space, thus requiring more trucks/planes on the road/in the air polluting. Plus, more energy wasted making the boxes, tape, etc- recycled materials or not.

Amazon does not always have "one's back" when things go wrong:
I bought a battery lawnmower on Amazon. The seller was the mower's manufacturer. It was sold as new & had a 4 year warranty. The shipper was Amazon. The mower was second hand, dirty & came missing several parts, rendering it unusable. The serial number date was 3 years old.

I asked Amazon for either the mower's parts, which I would install, or an exchange. Amazon told me to deal with the vendor & leave them out of it. The vendor is an Authorized Amazon Seller & the "Shipped By" was Amazon.

The vendor-manufacturer of the mower never replied to my inquiries. After a month of waiting & repeatedly calling & writing the manufacturer-vendor, I went back to Amazon & was told again to leave them out of it. They kicked me to the curb. The credit card company, however, took care of the problem. It took 4 months of the credit card company's waiting for the vendor to reply to their threat of removing the charge & not getting replies, but I got a refund. Boy was my lawn tall!

Amazon Packs Lousy:
Once we ordered a bag of ground flaxseed and a bottle of silicone machine oil. They packaged them in the same envelope, with no inner bag for either. Paper envelope, too. No padding, just heavy paper. The silicone oil's glass jar got shattered, ruining the flour. I received a whole lot of grief from Amazon about replacing the stuff. It ended up in a dreaded 2 hour Chat session: "Just wring out the flaxseed bag to get your oil back. You can cook the flaxseed and the oil will leave." Huh? My next move was: Hello? Credit card company? The problem was solved instantly.

Recently, I ordered a digital scale. Amazon sent it with no box. The shipping label was stuck to the scale's cardboard package. The package was soaked & still very wet with what smelled like "Weed Be Gone" cologne. I could not even take it in the house, it smelled so bad (even on a 15-F degree day). The scale package was torn & smashed, not to mention the shipping label covering the instructions. The scale was destroyed & did not work. Amazon gave me absolutely no grief about the exchange (automated process this time). But the next one came in an envelope- and smashed. They have big boxes for Micro SD cards, but not digital scales?

The Drivers Can Be Careless Too:
On another day, one Amazon driver was parked, looking at his phone, about 50 feet from the intersection. I was walking and started crossing the street. He "matted it" through the intersection, tires squealing & still looking down- right through the Stop sign. I jumped back, but still got hit dead-on by the truck's mirror. I was knocked to the pavement, but the driver kept on going really fast down the residential street which had kids playing. My letters of complaint have all been ignored. They still drive crazy in the neighborhood. Someday a child is going to be killed by one of these thoughtless people.

Sorry to continue the Amazon off-topic, but I tend to side with those who are not big fans of Amazon.

Paul

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sorry to continue the Amazon off-topic, but I tend to side with those who are not big fans of Amazon.

Sorry you had such poor experiences with Amazon. I have had nothing but the opposite - always good service, packaging, returns, price, etc.

Anyway, we are going to close this off since it has become an Amazon opinion thread instead of the intended subject. I am just as guilty of going off topic, I will reprimand myself and close this thread.

Thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.