Troubles booting 350mhz teal iMac (screen is blank)

Reaction score
I just bought this this iMac, teal, 350mhz, 64mb RAM, anyway I was going to throw Panther on but it said I needed a firmware upgrade, so I had to restart..Upon restarting my screen is blank, I can boot from a disc, but obviously that is no use as I can't see anything. I am not sure what is going on.. Also, I do not have an OS9 disk..

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I just bought this this iMac, teal, 350mhz, 64mb RAM, anyway I was going to throw Panther on but it said I needed a firmware upgrade, so I had to restart..Upon restarting my screen is blank, I can boot from a disc, but obviously that is no use as I can't see anything. I am not sure what is going on.. Also, I do not have an OS9 disk..

Does it make the startup chime sound? Try this, after the chime hold down the following keys APPLE-OPTION-P-R all at the same time and keep them down till 2 more Chimes sound then let go. See if the screen comes back.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hmm, well it has to be booting because I can hear the HD workin away... But no screen..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Hold down the option key after power up. It should bring up a purple screen where you can choose which drive you want to boot. Maybe it's trying to boot to a CD or something weird.
I was upgrading my 350MHz this afternoon and was having a similar problem. Someone took out the 7GB HD that was in the machine and shoved in a 20GB drive. When I shoved the 7GB HD in, it wasn't doing anything. It just stayed at the gray screen. I then realized he also took off the jumper pin from the 7GB which is why the computer wouldn't recongize the HD. Once I figured that out, I did the above and loaded up 10.3 flawlessly.
Bryan

OP
S
Reaction score
Well, after swapping the RAM out for some newer stuff, (256mb vs 64mb) things seemed to be working better. I managed to finally update the firmware after a couple tries, and I now have Panther installed and running quite nicely...Too bad there is hardly any HD space..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
You can custom install OS X. I think my install was a total of 1.3GB so I have close to 5.4GB free from a 7GB drive.
Bryan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.