Trouble With Window Size

Reaction score
I have been having triouble with the window to my External Hard drive. It is too big and it looks like the bottom portion goes offscreen. The three lines that are supposed to be in the bottom right corner to resize also appear to be off screen. I do not have another monitor hooked up. also, i have tried ejecting and plugging it back in and that has not worked either. Does anyone know what is going on/how to fix this incredibly frustrating problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
For e.g. When Safari is open, click on the Green + button on the upper left corner of the browser window to change the size. It may not be a permanent solution, but since each app. window has a memory, once you set the size, it stays that way.

OP
iPolly
Reaction score
Sorry this is a such a big image but I wanted to show what it looked like. Notice the bottom right corner of the external wondow. There is no way to adjust the window size. What is the problem?

exsyb1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I am understanding is that you tried the following, but it did not change the length, but only changed the width:
Activate the external hard drive window by clicking, then you will see the Red, Yellow and Green bullets on the upper left corner of your window. When you click on the green, it will make it smaller when it is big, and bigger when it is small.
Am I understanding it correctly?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
you could try shutting all finder windows, deleting the finder plist file (do a spotlight search on finder, should be under the documents section), and then reopening the window. shouldn't really hurt anything either. doesn't look like you've made many changes to the stock appearance of finder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
See Windows causing problems again....**** you Bill Gates, **** you to the trash bin

OP
iPolly
Reaction score
Nevermind. I fixed it and it was embarrassingly easy. Thanks for the help everyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let me know what is was. May be I will learn something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I learned you can't even say dam on this site? I wasn't aware it was swearing or otherwise bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apologies...I didn't feel the word I used was profane. However I just looked it up and apparently I was wrong.

profanity (or bad word, swear word, curse word, cuss word, dirty word, or collectively foul, bad or strong language) under current colloquial use is a word, expression, gesture, or other usage which is socially constructed as insulting, rude or vulgar. The extent to which a profanity is considered to be in some way disagreeable or objectionable depends on context, timing and various other factors. However, the use of certain profanities at certain times, especially in a public setting or during a solemn occasion, may always be considered inappropriate or in bad taste, if not outright abusive, obscene or offensive. At other times the use of certain profanities will be considered mild or acceptable, and may take less recognizable forms, such as a minced oath.
The original meaning of the term was restricted to blasphemy, sacrilege or saying the Lord's name in vain. Profanity represented a secular indifference to religion or religious figures, while blasphemy was a more offensive attack on religion and religious figures, and is known to be sinful. However, the term has been extended to include expressions with scatological, sexist, derogatory, racist, or sexual themes. Compare the concept of the four-letter word. The more vague and inclusive interpretation blurs the distinction between categories of offensive words (see Cursing in America by Timothy Jay ).
The use and meaning of profanity is culturally and linguistically specific. For example, many profanities in Canadian French are a corruption of religious terminology (the sacres), while many English obscenities tend to reference sexuality. A term which functions as a profanity in one language may often lack any profane quality when translated into another language.
US obscenity laws were originally meant to prohibit attacks on religion and religious figures or to protect children from profane speech. Since the time of the Civil War in the late 1800s, restrictions have focused more on sexual speech. There has always been great difficulty in defining profanity. The U.S. Federal Communications Commission, in response to complaints about a 1973 broadcast comedy routine by George Carlin, called: Seven Words You Can Never Say On Television, ruled that such language could not be broadcast at times of day when there is a reasonable risk that children may be in the audience. The Supreme Court of the United States upheld this act of censorship in F.C.C. v. Pacifica Foundation, 438 U.S. 726 (1978). Despite this definition, people of every ethnicity, class and level of education swear. 72-percent of American men and 58-percent of American women swear in public,[citation needed] and 61-percent of adolescents and 89-percent of adults swear in public. Most researchers consider these numbers to be in line with other populations worldwide.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
for some it's a big one. for some not.

i'm in the latter camp. but i'm an agnostic. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're dislexic....should read antagonistic

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry this is a such a big image but I wanted to show what it looked like. Notice the bottom right corner of the external wondow. There is no way to adjust the window size. What is the problem?

exsyb1.jpg

Nice image iPolly....I like the clours and randomness. Can I get a copy for my desktop from somewhere?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apologies...I didn't feel the word I used was profane. However I just looked it up and apparently I was wrong.

profanity (or bad word, swear word, curse word, cuss word, dirty word, or collectively foul, bad or strong language) under current colloquial use is a word, expression, gesture, or other usage which is socially constructed as insulting, rude or vulgar. The extent to which a profanity is considered to be in some way disagreeable or objectionable depends on context, timing and various other factors. However, the use of certain profanities at certain times, especially in a public setting or during a solemn occasion, may always be considered inappropriate or in bad taste, if not outright abusive, obscene or offensive. At other times the use of certain profanities will be considered mild or acceptable, and may take less recognizable forms, such as a minced oath.
The original meaning of the term was restricted to blasphemy, sacrilege or saying the Lord's name in vain. Profanity represented a secular indifference to religion or religious figures, while blasphemy was a more offensive attack on religion and religious figures, and is known to be sinful. However, the term has been extended to include expressions with scatological, sexist, derogatory, racist, or sexual themes. Compare the concept of the four-letter word. The more vague and inclusive interpretation blurs the distinction between categories of offensive words (see Cursing in America by Timothy Jay ).
The use and meaning of profanity is culturally and linguistically specific. For example, many profanities in Canadian French are a corruption of religious terminology (the sacres), while many English obscenities tend to reference sexuality. A term which functions as a profanity in one language may often lack any profane quality when translated into another language.
US obscenity laws were originally meant to prohibit attacks on religion and religious figures or to protect children from profane speech. Since the time of the Civil War in the late 1800s, restrictions have focused more on sexual speech. There has always been great difficulty in defining profanity. The U.S. Federal Communications Commission, in response to complaints about a 1973 broadcast comedy routine by George Carlin, called: Seven Words You Can Never Say On Television, ruled that such language could not be broadcast at times of day when there is a reasonable risk that children may be in the audience. The Supreme Court of the United States upheld this act of censorship in F.C.C. v. Pacifica Foundation, 438 U.S. 726 (1978). Despite this definition, people of every ethnicity, class and level of education swear. 72-percent of American men and 58-percent of American women swear in public,[citation needed] and 61-percent of adolescents and 89-percent of adults swear in public. Most researchers consider these numbers to be in line with other populations worldwide.

Thank you. This was good comedy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X 10.4.9... iMac 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB DDR2 SDRAM
Nevermind. I fixed it and it was embarrassingly easy. Thanks for the help everyone.

How did you go about sorting this out? It happened to me last week & I found a way around it but it seemed a little... a little like a codge job.

I viewed the contents of the window in another finder window, made sure the width was different to the one that was off the screen, the chose the menu option View > Arrange By > Name

I then closed that finder, reopened the one that was too large & clieked the Green Plus gadget. The window resized to fit on the screen then with a scrollbar instead of the exact height going off the bottom.

FuZion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If iPolly does not respond, may be you could send her a message in this forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X 10.4.9... iMac 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB DDR2 SDRAM
If iPolly does not respond, may be you could send her a message in this forum.

PM'd but no reply. I find this place is extremely quiet.

FuZion.

M

MacHeadCase

Some people come in only to get help and don't hang around.

Maybe iPolly put in her member profile to never receive any email notifications or she changed email addies and forgot to update her member profile or something like that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.