Trouble with iPod on my new iMac

Reaction score
I just purchased a new iMac and tried to load my iPod nano 4th generation to my new computer. First message I got was that my iPod belonged to another computer and wanted me to basically erase what I had and replace it with my new iTunes library which is empty. The music on my iTunes is the only copy I have and my old mac which I loaded songs from to my iPod is gone (stolen) Now whenever I plug my iPod into my new computer, the iPod doesn't show up anywhere on the computer, like it doesn't exist. It seems like my new iMac now does't recognize my iPod. Does anyone know how to fix this and how to load songs from my iPod into my new iTunes library? Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can load the music from your iPod to the new iMac by using special software which is not free. Download iRip from here. Cost is $19.95.

OP
K
Reaction score
ok now my computer sees my iPod, but the question is how to I transfer all these songs from my iPod into my iTunes library on my new computer? Thanks.

OP
K
Reaction score
I have to pay money to transfer songs over? seems incredibly unfair, surely theres some other method?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do some searching around to see if you can find a free solution. I'm not sure if there is anything that will do the transfer and is free but it never hurts to look.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
OP
K
Reaction score
I found out how to do it thanks to a very good quick guide on youtube by typing "terminal" in your spotlight then typing a few codes which reveals all your hidden music folders on your ipod. After, simply click and drag your songs into your itunes. All it cost me was 15 minutes of my time. Just listen carefully to the guide and you can do it, worked for me perfectly. Here is the link.

Add Music From Another iPod Into Your Itunes Library (Mac) - YouTube

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice find. I have it bookmarked for future reference. Thanks for posting back for all to see.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.