• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Trouble importing from digital 8 camcorder to iMovie8

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, MacBook
The importing process keeps stopping before it's completed on my iMac G5 connected with firewire. It has 10.4.11, 1.8Mhz processor, 2G RAM and about 80G of open hard drive space. Is there a setting that I may need to change? I tried it on my wife's MacBook with 10.5 and it worked fine. Any ideas? Thanks.:Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
You have plenty of horse power to import from a firewire stream. If the problem randomly occurs then I think it likely a software issue. If the problem always occurs at the same point of the tape, then perhaps the tape is damaged, has a break point, or you are hitting another limit such as import file size. Although I thought that last one was not a problem in iM08. Check the preferences for iMovie.

You do not have iMovie8. It is either iMovie 08, or iMovie 09 which I believe is version 8.x.x. Given your version of OS X, I'd say you have iMovie 08. The reason I mention this is the distinction can be important for those who are willing to help you and your self in searching for the problem and possible solution.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, MacBook
Yes, I have iMovie 08. Sorry for the goof, and thanks for pointing it out. It occurs at random points. It may import for 2 minutes or 10 minutes or more, then it just stops and the tape keeps rolling. My Mac has been kind of sluggish lately, but I've cleaned out my downloads directory and reset Safari, cleaning out all the cookies and cache. Should one clean off the hard drive occasionally and do a fresh install of the OS and all programs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
No, you should not have to reinstall the OS. The Safari cache and cookies will not affect this issue. You could try running Onxy to run the nightly cleanup items that occur when you leave you Mac on.

There are two conflicting reports regarding you machine. Specs say no, while someone says yes. Why importing should be an issue is beyond me, since I know for a fact that older versions of iMovie were able to import with a much less powerful machine. Bloody Apple!

Your best solution may be to import via the Macbook, then copy the files over. A hassle and you need to learn where to copy them from and to, and an acceptable workflow. The imports end up in your "Movies/iMovie Events" folder under whatever event name you choose. I think in your case they will be .dv files, but might just be .mov files. I haven't imported DV to iMovie 08 or 09. Anyway, once you have imported (via copy) from the MB, you can remove the files from the MB.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, MacBook
My (wife's) MacBook is in another state right now, but I'll give Onxy a try. Thanks for the tip!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.