Trouble connecting/adding Canon printer to MBP

Reaction score
I recently bought a Canon MF451dw printer/scanner, which I'm having trouble setting up.

The printer came with it's own CD with the software on it, but, because my MBP doesn't have a CD slot, I had to download the software from Canon's website. I went to the link above, and clicked on "Software & Drivers". The link showed that a Mac OS operating system was detected, so I entered "macOS12" in the "version" field. I then downloaded the 2 "recommended" software drivers (one for the printer and one for the scanner). After downloading them, I then installed them. So far, so good.

After I installed the drivers, I tried to print a random page, but noticed a "no printer selected" warning in the top right of the menu that popped up. I tried to "add printer", but when the new menu popped up, there was no printer that I could add. I then went to System Preferences, clicked on printers, and tried the same thing, but no dice.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

If it helps, my MBP is a 2020 M1 laptop, running v.12.6 of Monterey, the printer is brand new, as is the ethernet cable I'm using to connect the two.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I then went to System Preferences, clicked on printers, and tried the same thing, but no dice.
What does that mean? Taken literally, the printer didn't come with any dice. I don't think that is what you mean, but it's hard to diagnose with just "no dice" as the error. Any messages? What happened when you clicked on "Printers & Scanners" in SysPrefs. Adding printers to a Mac is pretty straightforward, just use System Preferences/Printer & Scanners, click on the lock and enter an admin password to unlock the pane, then click on the "+" below the list of printers on the left side and find your printer in the list.

And tell us more about this Ethernet cable between the two. Normally there would be a USB cable and the Ethernet port on the printer would be connected to the LAN, not directly to the Mac. Given that the MBP doesn't even have an Ethernet port. how is that connection being made?

OP
B
Reaction score
What does that mean? Taken literally, the printer didn't come with any dice. I don't think that is what you mean, but it's hard to diagnose with just "no dice" as the error. Any messages? What happened when you clicked on "Printers & Scanners" in SysPrefs. Adding printers to a Mac is pretty straightforward, just use System Preferences/Printer & Scanners, click on the lock and enter an admin password to unlock the pane, then click on the "+" below the list of printers on the left side and find your printer in the list.

And tell us more about this Ethernet cable between the two. Normally there would be a USB cable and the Ethernet port on the printer would be connected to the LAN, not directly to the Mac. Given that the MBP doesn't even have an Ethernet port. how is that connection being made?
Hi, "no dice" is just an expression that means "it didn't work" (but I'm guessing you knew that).

Anyway, I went to System Preferences (just like you said), but the printer isn't even listed on the left side (where it should be, and has been for other printers I've used in the past).

But, maybe it does have something to do with the ethernet cable (which, by the way, is connected to my MBP via a "hub" that I bought with various ports such as, ethernet, usb, hdmi, etc.). Even so, that's odd, because, in the past, I've connected printers directly to my (old) laptop via ethernet. I'll see if I have a usb cable lying around.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Anyway, I went to System Preferences (just like you said), but the printer isn't even listed on the left side (where it should be, and has been for other printers I've used in the past).

I would suggest you may not even need any software and that may be goofing up things. Also disconnect any cables you may have connected and I would restart your Mac and then go and look at the videos before you do anything else.
Head off to the site and have a look at the video here:

imageCLASS 5" touch screen Easy Wireless Setup for Mac

Follow the directions provided in the setup video, and then maybe check out any of the other videos if needed.

Many newer wireless printers don't even need some software if printing wirelessly. I do not know if that includes your new Canon printer or not.

Good luck.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But, maybe it does have something to do with the ethernet cable (which, by the way, is connected to my MBP via a "hub" that I bought with various ports such as, ethernet, usb, hdmi, etc.). Even so, that's odd, because, in the past, I've connected printers directly to my (old) laptop via ethernet. I'll see if I have a usb cable lying around.
For printing through a network (Ethernet), there needs to be some single device managing the IP numbers for each device. Typically that is the router to which the devices are connected. And also typically, that router is also the device that connects to the outside network provided by your internet service provider (ISP). So the ISP device handles the IP addresses in the internal network in your house through a process called DHCP. Your Mac asks for an IP from the DHCP Server, and the printer also asks for a number from the DHCP Server. Then the print dialog works by clicking on the globe icon and entering the printer's IP number as the address for the Mac to use to connect to the printer. Or the printer will support Bonjour protocol and the Mac will negotiate the connection through that to allow you to add the printer.

What you have described so far has not disclosed where the DHCP server is. Is the "hub" you described connected to your ISP interface?

OP
B
Reaction score
I would suggest you may not even need any software and that may be goofing up things. Also disconnect any cables you may have connected and I would restart your Mac and then go and look at the videos before you do anything else.
Head off to the site and have a look at the video here:

imageCLASS 5" touch screen Easy Wireless Setup for Mac

Follow the directions provided in the setup video, and then maybe check out any of the other videos if needed.

Many newer wireless printers don't even need some software if printing wirelessly. I do not know if that includes your new Canon printer or not.

Good luck.

- Patrick
=======
Well, what do you know, that worked! Thanks!!

For printing through a network (Ethernet), there needs to be some single device managing the IP numbers for each device. Typically that is the router to which the devices are connected. And also typically, that router is also the device that connects to the outside network provided by your internet service provider (ISP). So the ISP device handles the IP addresses in the internal network in your house through a process called DHCP. Your Mac asks for an IP from the DHCP Server, and the printer also asks for a number from the DHCP Server. Then the print dialog works by clicking on the globe icon and entering the printer's IP number as the address for the Mac to use to connect to the printer. Or the printer will support Bonjour protocol and the Mac will negotiate the connection through that to allow you to add the printer.

What you have described so far has not disclosed where the DHCP server is. Is the "hub" you described connected to your ISP interface?
I think the reason my old MBP and my old printer worked while connected by an ethernet cable is because they used to be linked to my network (via the router) at my old office. When I moved to my home office, I no longer had my own wifi (and, so, no router of my own), but managed to keep the printer working using an ethernet cable. Maybe all the IP protocols were still on my old MBP and my old printer, so that's why it still kept working?

And, just to note, the "hub" I referred to is not connected to my ISP interface (as far as I can tell); it just plugs into the 2 ports on the MBP and allows other types of connections.

Anyway, thanks a lot, everyone, for your help! Much appreciated!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Well, what do you know, that worked! Thanks!!

Well that is certainly good to hear and I am glad you were able to get everything working.

Oddly enough, I ran into some trouble setting up my Canon inkjet last year and finally decided to ignore all directions they gave on their Internet Support Site and got things working wirelessly and via Network ethernet and it was way faster then their original connection setup suggestions.

There is usually a way to get things working the way one wants and sometimes better than expected. ;-)

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I moved to my home office, I no longer had my own wifi (and, so, no router of my own), but managed to keep the printer working using an ethernet cable. Maybe all the IP protocols were still on my old MBP and my old printer, so that's why it still kept working?
How do you connect to the Internet? Can you get to the internet from your home office?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.