Trojan virus

Reaction score
hey guys! i'm new here, so i hope i am posting this in the right thread. i have never had a virus on my mac before, but i ran a norton antivirus scan tonight after having some problems with safari and it found a trojan byteverify (i think). it was very quick and once i told it to fix it, it quarantined it, but i am almost positive that is what it said.

i thought something was wrong because i went to maytag's website for my dad and all of a sudden safari was frozen and then i couldn't get back on it even though i had an internet connection.

norton quarantined the file. it was in my library cache - in the java and is a zip file. i do not know how to get the whole file name from the norton log because it is long. it ends with v1.0/jar/gsb50.jar - 112aa26 - 46386e8.zip

i did a second scan and it says there are no viruses found.

safari is working. it actually started working even before the file was quarantined once i cleaned the cache and reset safari.

i was just wondering if my macbook is okay and if i have to worry about further damage or anything. can i delete that file from quarantine or is it too important? i really do not know a lot about the mac operating system. i have been learning for a while, but really do not know what to look for or what to do when there are problems.

any help is greatly appreciated! thank-you so much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Your Mac is fine. As i stands today there is NO know virus that can affect your Mac. There was 1 trojan going around in a iLife 09 torrent and that is not a virus.
Read this thread and even though it was a fews years ago it still pertains to this day and age.

Official Mac Antivirus and Firewall FAQ

Cheers

OP
L
Reaction score
thank-you for the response and the link! i'm curious.. why did norton antivirus pick it up as a trojan?

OP
L
Reaction score
one more question... so this trojan, malware or whatever it actually is, cannot really affect a mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Step one go to the Symantec web site and download NAV uninstaller. Step two running that is critical as dragging to the trash will not work, There are no mac OS X viri, and the known trojans only come from suspect web sites, including pirated software,

OP
L
Reaction score
thanks, but i don't want to uninstall norton antivirus. is there a reason people would? does it not work well?

i just think it's weird that my safari wouldn't work and now every so often it keeps telling me the page failed to open bc it is not connected to the internet. (being that it supposedly was in my java file) i have never had these problems before. i really just want to make sure the mac isn't infected with a virus, malware, spyware, whatever. i didn't understand why the software would tell me i have one when it really isn't a problem? i have had the software for months and it never has picked up anything at all. only today after safari wouldn't run.

thanks again for the help and replies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
The main reason people un install norton is they dont require it, and on that it is such a big hog of resources that it can bog down other Apps you are running.
The only reason i would have it is if i had Windows running on bootcamp or Parallels where the Windows OS would be prone to any virus/trojan/malware ....
But for the Mac OS side i would really think about not having it on there :)

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Think about it. There are no viri for Mac OS X so what do you download from Symantec when you update virus definitions? Simple .. purely Windows definitions and these viri cannot run on the Mac. Have a read of this, which whilst a couple of years old, is still current as there have been no viri. It will be trumpeted throughout the world if there ever is one:-

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10331147-263.html?tag=mfiredir

If you do run Boot Camp download Microsoft Security Essentials when booted from the Windows partition. It is a gteat program for PC's and I use it on my Dell laptop exclusively. And it is free including the updates!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.