Trillian for Mac: If you want it....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
This could be the way. http://www.publicmind.com/enduser/group.jsp?node=602

Get the word out. Trillian developers don't think there is a consumer market for Mac. I kow that I really liked Trillian when I had it for PC and I miss it and wish I could have it on Mac.

Sorry if this may be against the rules of the forum, but I didn't see anything in regards to this type of topic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i clicked i want it!!!!!!!!!! i love trillian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
what's trillian? I heard it's some sorta chat app, but I'm sure fire or adium are as good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
trillian has MSN, YIM, AOL, ICQ, and IRC all in one.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macman said:
what's trillian? I heard it's some sorta chat app, but I'm sure fire or adium are as good.

IMO, Trillian blows any and all chat clients for PC and Mac away. Its so user friendly with many advanced features with a lot of support.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
do we actually need to sign up for this???
-chris

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Macman said:

Trillian is like Adium, Fire and Proteus. In some ways I like it better but of course can not use it on the Mac. It's very powerfull and easy to use but does a lot also. If they do make it for OSX and do it as well as their Windows version, it would be great.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
coach_z said:
do we actually need to sign up for this???
-chris
coach_z
Sign up is really simple. Just add your email address and a password. They dont ask for any other info other than your name, email and a password. That simple. :)

dtravis7
Unlike Adium, Fire and Proteus...
Trillian has developer support with a ton of great features and great upgrades/updates as well as other support features. Well worth the free download and the on time payment for life. Cheap payment too. The free download thats available for Windows has pretty much all the features as with Trillian Pro (full version) except for a few. Not sure what they are though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Personally I hate Trillium, I think it's ugly, bloated, and a resource hog. But hey that's just me ;).

Proteus and Adium are far better on the Mac platform. Both Adium and Proteus have very active user forums and IRC channels with regular dev participation.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
schweb said:
Personally I hate Trillium, I think it's ugly, bloated, and a resource hog. But hey that's just me ;).

Proteus and Adium are far better on the Mac platform. Both Adium and Proteus have very active user forums and IRC channels with regular dev participation.

I really like Trillian as far as a PC program, but you are right that Adium and Proteus are very good also. I have had no problems on the PC side with Trillian taking too much in the resource department, but then again I have noticed that most Windows programs compaired to a lot of OSX progies tend to take up a LOT of resources! Firefox on both my PC's takes so much ram and especially after opening a lot of tabs. Keeps going up and up. It does not seem anywhere near as bad under OSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Im wondering when Proteus or Adium is going to release a new version.. I really want to switch to Adium, but it still has so many bugs, but if Proteus improves some of the things that Adium does better I would stay with Proteus, especially since I already paid for it :) I just wish they were more actively getting improvements out.

K

Kokopelli

Murlyn said:
Im wondering when Proteus or Adium is going to release a new version.. I really want to switch to Adium, but it still has so many bugs, but if Proteus improves some of the things that Adium does better I would stay with Proteus, especially since I already paid for it :) I just wish they were more actively getting improvements out.

Both Adium and Proteus are in an active beta cycle. At a guess a release of Adium should be coming out before the end of June, not sure about Proteus.

M

meltbanana314

One of the developers of Trillian posted this on Slashdot a few months back when asked why Cerulean Studios isn't going to develop Trillian for OS X:

It's not even so much that we're uninterested, it's that we know Trillian isn't really as well-suited to the model of MacOS X or Linux applications. (FWIW, at least two Trillian developers -- including me -- have Macs as well as windows boxes. I'm posting this from Safari, in fact.)

I develop Mac OS X software in my spare time, and I can tell you flat out that Trillian would violate the Aqua Design Guidelines six ways from Sunday unless completely reworked, just for starters. (Of course, a depressing number of Macintosh applications also do, but still.) And for a small development team, trying to keep a single code tree in sync across multiple platforms without making it suffer overall, would be hard; that's something far easier for an OSS project. We /do/ periodically re-examine the possibility, but...

Honestly, Trillian's designed not for the power-users who want to get down and dirty with every little aspect of an IM protocol, or for OSS activists. It's designed, as has been noted, more for Joe Average; this is why Trillian 3.0 is made to look and feel more like a Windows XP application in the preferences system and whatnot. And to some extent, that userbase tends to be more prominent on Windows.

For those who are really into OSS or are on Linux, Sean and the others who work on it have made a great app in Gaim. And for those who are on Mac OS X, Adium X is pretty kickass. Heck, even the new iChat in Tiger is pretty straightforward for Joe Average Mac User.

It's not like there's some Highlander-esque 'there can be only one!' situation with instant messaging clients. You'll even notice we at Cerulean are on good terms with the Gaim team; when Yahoo locked everyone out last time, we deciphered the new login protocol and donated it to Gaim (and to Adium as a result). You can find other instances in the Gaim changelog of code donated from Trillian; it's certainly not like we're out to kill open source and crush all opposition or something. ("I am Trillian MacLeod of the clan MacLeod, and I've come to take your head developer!")

Gaim and Trillian are made to fill a different niches. If one's right for you, great! Doesn't mean the other one isn't right for other people. :)

Just thought it was relevant.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
meltbanana314, Very good read. Thanks so much for posting that! Quite interesting.

I am keeping my eyes on Proteus and Adium as they improve. I still like Proteus but Adium is very good also. If Proteus evolves with the features I want I will pay for it. Right now I use Adium for my multi chat needs and Ichat for just AIM chat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Murlyn said:
Proteus is actively developing 4.5 for sometime this summer from what I heard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Great to know. I would love to see some of the bugs worked out, it's still the best for what I need and do, but Adium is a very very close second :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.