Tried to take apart, now cd drive is not lined up

Reaction score
I spilled some stuff on my macbook 13 inch, and tried to unscrew the screws to lift up the keyboard and clean it, when i realized i had no idea what i was doing, I put it back together. A little grey piece came out of the back right ( near the power button, and now my cd drive is not lined up correctly.

The drive works, but cd's are rough going in and they dont get sucked up right away.

I have a protection plan, but i assume if you spill something on it and try to take it apart it voids the terms.

Anyone know what i can do? or how much it may cost to have someone take it apart, make sure its clean and just put it back together?

thanks so much

mark

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're correct about Apple not doing the repair under warranty. Spills and accidently dropping the machine, etc., are at the user's expense.

Go to the ifixit web site and look up the disassembly - assembly procedures for your model MacBook. Their step by step instructions are very good and perhaps can help you get it all back together correctly.

www.ifixit.com

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Apple wouldn't touch it even if you paid for it now you've had it open yourself. Best bet is what chscag said - have a loot at ifixit, see if everything is in the right place.

Was the grey piece a thin bit of plastic abut 1-1.5 inches long? off the side under the keyboard casing? Cos when I took mine apart a couple of those fell off and it doesn't seem to have had an effect.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.