Trash Can Always Full On Restart

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I simply cannot figure this out. For a long time now, every time I empty the trash (which is after every time I put something in it) and then re-start my computer, upon restart the trash can is full again and I have to empty it AGAIN.

Now, I had my OS (Snow Leopard) re-installed last week at the Apple Store and the problem seemed fixed. The genius asked me how often I actually shut down my computer as opposed to simply restarting and I told him not often, most of the time I just put my computer to sleep out of sheer laziness. He said more than likely that was the problem and every night before bed I should do a shut-down. I've been doing that and the problem seemed solved. Until yesterday, when a lot of the same bugs I had before (you tube not playing properly and the trash issue) started appearing again. I haven't downloaded anything suspicious or done anything weird since the re-install and the genius said everything internally looked pretty healthy, so I'm baffled by this.

What could be causing the trash to always re-appear?

Thanks!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
He said more than likely that was the problem and every night before bed I should do a shut-down.
That "genius" doesn't know what they're talking about. Unless there's some magical solution that only Apple knows about, this makes no sense whatsoever. Anyway...

What kinds of files are in the Trash? This is a bit baffling especially since the Trash is nothing more than a folder on your Mac (~/.Trash/). If you go to Finder, press Shift-Command-G, enter "~/.Trash/" (without the quotes), press enter, right click and empty space and select the Get Info option, what does it say under permissions at the bottom?

OP
S
Reaction score
That "genius" doesn't know what they're talking about. Unless there's some magical solution that only Apple knows about, this makes no sense whatsoever. Anyway...

What kinds of files are in the Trash? This is a bit baffling especially since the Trash is nothing more than a folder on your Mac (~/.Trash/). If you go to Finder, press Shift-Command-G, enter "~/.Trash/" (without the quotes), press enter, right click and empty space and select the Get Info option, what does it say under permissions at the bottom?

Thank you, it says 'You can read and write' under permissions. Next to my name it says 'Read and Write' under 'Privileges' and next to "Everyone" it says 'No Access'.

What does this mean?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That's normal so it's not a permissions issue.

As I asked initially, what kinds of files are these? If they're "Recovered Files," take a look here.

OP
S
Reaction score
That's normal so it's not a permissions issue.

As I asked initially, what kinds of files are these? If they're "Recovered Files," take a look here.

Thank you, that article helped a lot, that could be the issue - there have been a few times when I did not properly shut down and simply held the power button down until the computer turned off. Right now the trash is empty, but it's mostly photos and songs that I put in the trash.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you, that article helped a lot, that could be the issue - there have been a few times when I did not properly shut down and simply held the power button down until the computer turned off.

That's a practice that you really ought to avoid - it's nit good for your computer. This could very well be the cause.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.