transfering photos

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am trying to help a friend (long distance)... she tells me that when she transfers photos from one folder to a new one, her Mac makes duplicates - is that possible? Could she be doing something wrong or perhaps might she have changed something and not know it?
Thanks for you feed back
Have a great evening

C

chas_m

Hi everyone,
I am trying to help a friend (long distance)... she tells me that when she transfers photos from one folder to a new one, her Mac makes duplicates - is that possible? Could she be doing something wrong or perhaps might she have changed something and not know it?
Thanks for you feed back
Have a great evening

Yes, it is possible, and yes, she is doing something wrong.

This phenomenon happens all the time -- when you try to move photos from a folder on one drive (or protected area like a library, system folder, app folder etc) to another drive (or protected area, etc).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi everyone,
I am trying to help a friend (long distance)..........

Just a suggestion - if possible, you might ask your friend to join the forum and provide a link for her to 'chime in' - using a 'middle man' just complicates the communication exchanges. Dave :)

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks to both for answering my question.

My friend wouldn't be able to join the forum... she doesn't speak English.
As Chas_m mentionned, she is doing something wrong... hard to know what right now (I'll try to get more info soon), but could you describe what she should be doing to avoid the duplication?

Thanks again... have a good day

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks to both for answering my question.

My friend wouldn't be able to join the forum... she doesn't speak English.
As Chas_m mentionned, she is doing something wrong... hard to know what right now (I'll try to get more info soon), but could you describe what she should be doing to avoid the duplication?

Thanks for the clarification - in general, dragging a file from one folder to another on the same drive or partition will move the icon - dragging between different drives and/or partitions will copy the file - the 'Option' & 'CMD' keys can reverse this behavior, i.e. the 'Option' key in the first maneuver will copy rather than move a file; the 'CMD' key in the second instance will move rather that copy to the other drive/partition - keep in mind that 'moving' in either situation will remove the file from its original location.

Not sure if this will be of help but worth a try - now concerning 'protected' areas a mentioned by Chas_m that is for you to provide some more information. Dave :)

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks Dave... I am slowly getting the picture!

I guess what I can tell her is to try holding either the Option key or CMD key - as I don't know if she is transferring between different drives or not. She'll see which one works.

On the other hand, I'd like to know how to identify "different drive" - I am not too clear on that. Could I bother you to explain it to me.
Thanks again
Have a great day
Jacotte

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Dave...

On the other hand, I'd like to know how to identify "different drive" - I am not too clear on that. Could I bother you to explain it to me.
Thanks again

Hi Jacotte - 'Drives' can be defined as 'physical' or 'logical'; a physical drive can be the internal drive in a computer whether a traditional HD (or SSD) or an external HD - these drives can be partitioned like creating multiple separate and independent areas which can also be called 'logical drives' - e.g. I have two 1 TB external HDs for cloning my two Mac computers, each is divided into two partitions, so there are 4 'logical drives'; I clone the two computers to each drive for a redundant backup.

As to your friend, you need to tell us whether she is wanting to transfer files between two physical drives or two partitions (i.e. logical drives) whether on the same or different units. Hope that is clear - others may come along w/ more detail definitions. Dave :)

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, it helps a lot... although it is not yet very clear in my mind, I understand better (that's progress!!!).
I am not sure how to explain it to my friend though - the day I do, that mean I myself will get the whole picture!
Good day to all

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Dave, it helps a lot... although it is not yet very clear in my mind, I understand better (that's progress!!!).
I am not sure how to explain it to my friend though - the day I do, that mean I myself will get the whole picture!
Good day to all

Well, hard to explain in words, I guess - let me show a 'screen capture' of Disk Utility w/ my Western Digital 1 TB HD mounted - two 'physical' drives are listed, i.e. the top Macintosh HD ( 256 GB SSD in my MBPro) - this drive has just one partition which is indented and given the same name.

The other physical drive is the 1 TB WD which is mounted via a USB connection - this drive has two partitions (or 'logical drives') - one clones my laptop and the other our iMac. Dragging files between the physical drives or between the logical drives would 'duplicate' the files (unless the appropriate key is pressed, as explained previously) - hope this helps. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 11.58.40 AM.png

OP
J
Reaction score
Yes, it helps - thanks ever so much.

I understand the duplication from moving a file into a memory stick, and vise versa... I can use that as an example in my explanations... and I'll try to get her to do a "screen shot" of her disk utility, then hopefully I'll be able to explain things (as clearly as you have!).
Thanks again
Have a great day

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.