Transfer thunderbird email from one mac to another?

G

goosegoose

Can anyone give me a simple expalanation of how to transfer email. i am trying to get all my old emails from my mac mini to a macbook, without a firewire- on both machines I am using Thunderbird.

please help!!

thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
go into your Library under your Home folder and look in the Mail folder - all your mailboxes and emails are located there. You could network between the two with ethernet cable

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Almost right! That would work for Mail, but the poster asked about Thunderbird, at least in the title.

For Thunderbird, you will find all the relevant files in your home folder's Library folder, in the Thunderbird subfolder. Just copy it over to the new Mac and startup Thunderbird.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
mac57 said:
Almost right! That would work for Mail, but the poster asked about Thunderbird, at least in the title.

Ah, you are correct. Should've been more observant. Thanks.

OP
G

goosegoose

deus_ex_machina said:
Ah, you are correct. Should've been more observant. Thanks.

Thanks. I have somewhat successfully transfered the emails. Now I am not able to open attachment to these transferred emails. I can see them but there won't open. The message tells me to save first and then try, but that does not work either. Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Blacksburg, VA - home of System X, making your pow
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 DA 466 MHz
Read the instructions regarding this in the FAQ on the thunderbird website. It's very easy and straightforward, and best of all, the format and structure of the files is identical accross all three platforms, which is why I love thunderbird so much. You can customize where you want these files to be, so theoretically (i have done this, actually) you can store the files on a drive which is shared over your network, and use thunderbird on any combination of computers and operating systems accross your network.

OP
G

goosegoose

delete .msf files

Once your inbox and all subfolders are in the Thunderbird file (you can just copy and paste them there) on the desired compter, you must close thunderbird, open the thunderbird folder in your library and go into your mail folder. Once there you must delete all .msf files (For example there will be a file named Inbox and one name Inbox.msf, delete the.msf file). Once you have deleted all .msf files, relaunch thunderbird and it should imprt all folders and subfolders.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.