Transfer images from iphoto to sd card?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" imac
New mac user here :) I just transfered several thousand photos into iphoto and I cant for the life of me figure out how to transfer them back to my cameras sd card so I can take the images and get them devoloped? Can someone help me? is there an online tuturial i can take to help me out with iphoto? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
I beleive if you have both the iPhoto window, and then the SD card open in Finder, you should be able to highlight all the photos in iPhoto and just drag and drop them into the SD window. This will make a copy of all of them.

Another way to acheive what you are trying to do is when in iphoto, select the albums (or main library if you want them all) that you wish to export, then go to file > Export and then select your SD card as the destination.

~~ TS ~~

OP
rockworthy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" imac
I beleive if you have both the iPhoto window, and then the SD card open in Finder, you should be able to highlight all the photos in iPhoto and just drag and drop them into the SD window. This will make a copy of all of them.

Another way to acheive what you are trying to do is when in iphoto, select the albums (or main library if you want them all) that you wish to export, then go to file > Export and then select your SD card as the destination.

~~ TS ~~

Thanks for the reply. I cant find the connected camera anywhere in finder. I'm having a real hard time adjusting to macs. Not complaining, I just need time to figure things out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 inch
I have 2 digital cameras (nikon SLU and Sony point and shoot) and both are recognized by the mac when plugged in. in fact iPhoto opens automatically and asks if i want to import directly from camera. To save camera battery life and/or avoid having the battery die during transfer I purchased a USB external "thingy" that allows me to remove the camera from the equation and plug the card directly in the "thingy" it accepts SD, CF and more. I got it at Ritz camera shop. I don't remember the cost but it was not much. low enought to be an impulse buy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 inch
PS - my cards just pop up as a folder on the desk top.

OP
rockworthy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" imac
I have 2 digital cameras (nikon SLU and Sony point and shoot) and both are recognized by the mac when plugged in. in fact iPhoto opens automatically and asks if i want to import directly from camera. To save camera battery life and/or avoid having the battery die during transfer I purchased a USB external "thingy" that allows me to remove the camera from the equation and plug the card directly in the "thingy" it accepts SD, CF and more. I got it at Ritz camera shop. I don't remember the cost but it was not much. low enought to be an impulse buy.
Thanks for the reply. My camera does pop up in iphoto when I connect it to my imac but only to inport photos. Theres no option to send photos back to the empty card in the camera so I can remove the card and take it to the store to order prints.

OP
rockworthy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" imac
Just got off the phone with apple and they said I have to buy a reader. Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 inch
that makes no sense to me. the SD card on my mac is seen as a folder that I just click on and open, like a folder on an external hard drive or anyplace else. Maybe someone else can help

M

MacHeadCase

Could be that the camera software only allows for one-way activity only i.e. download via the media card. A media card reader is indeed a good solution.

Just to save on my camera's battery, I bought a media card reader as soon as I bought the Digi Rebel I had. Good thing I did too because I had to update the camera's firmware at one point: can't remember if it was for the Digital Rebel or XT though.

OP
rockworthy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" imac
I didnt install any of the programs that came with my camera because i dont care for them. i have a Canon G7 if that matters. I'm gonna go and get a reader this afternoon.

OP
rockworthy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" imac
I about had it with this etire setup. Nothing is easy. I go to the store buy a reader and donload the mac driver from the companies site. I read the directions and go to start the install. I cant install because my computer wont read the installers. How in the world do people say switching is easy? I cant find squat on this computer. I simply need help. is there a program on my imac that will give me a crash course on how to do at least the basics? I'm goin out of my mind. I cant be this dumb.

M

MacHeadCase

You don't need a driver for a USB or FireWire card reader. The Mac will see it as any external hard drive once you have a card in it.

Instead of trying to figure this out by yourself and making mistakes, why not ask here? We can help.

OP
rockworthy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" imac
sorry if I'm sounding rude. We just had a baby and I dont have the time to just fiddle around and get the feel for everything like I want to. HOw do I get back to the folder that shows my downloads? I want to erase some things?

M

MacHeadCase

Answer this:

Is this a USB card reader? Or FireWire?

And what brand is it?

OP
rockworthy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" imac
Its USB and the brand is quantaray (ritz camera's brand) it's made by sakar.com. I can get the computer to read the sd cards now but only if they have been formatted in my camera. If I stick a blank card in the reader the computer wont find it.

M

MacHeadCase

Is it safe to assume you can use a card that has already been formatted? That way you can drop the photos you want processed at the shop on it.

If you need more space and/or cards that haven't been formatted, just take bogus pictures with your camera just so they get formatted, then delete the photos and fill those up too.

OP
rockworthy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" imac
Is it safe to assume you can use a card that has already been formatted? That way you can drop the photos you want processed at the shop on it.

If you need more space and/or cards that haven't been formatted, just take bogus pictures with your camera just so they get formatted, then delete the photos and fill those up too.
thats what I did. Thanks for your help.

OP
rockworthy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" imac
So is it sorted out now?

Yes, I transfered my photos from iphoto to the sd card. I have to really sit down and figure things out on this computer. my only problem is time. I work 60-70 hrs a week and with the new baby It's gonna be a long and bumpy road. I do like my imac and I'm not bashing it. I just dont understand how things work and where things are. Are there any online tutorial to show me around a little?

M

MacHeadCase

Ok cool.

Please don't hesitate to ask in these forums about things you need to understand. We promise we won't chew your head off! :D

This will help you get started and will help you appreciate the great machine you have instead of only going through aggravation and frustration.

Tutorials? there are some very good threads in here that are quite informative. You could go to Apple's website and look at Get a Mac and Mac 101.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.