transfer files from mini to new MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mini, MB Air (Early 2015), iMac (mid 2010),Touch (32G)
I just got an M3 MBP and I'd like to transfer files ( mostly, but all, photos ) from my mini to my MBP. I tried connecting the two via Bluetooth. I got them to see each other and actually connect, but the both disconnect after a couple seconds. I've 'Forgot' from both and restarted both, tried again with the same result.
How do I get them to connect? They recognize each other quickly and connect quickly, but disconnect quickly all on their own.

Both are on the same desk, so distance should be an issue.

Both are Ventura 13.5

Ideas?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I'm probably not helping much, but the latest version of Ventura is 13.6

It might/might not help to update to the latest version.

However, this might help:

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mini, MB Air (Early 2015), iMac (mid 2010),Touch (32G)
Thanks. The next update I see is, Sonoma 14.1. Not going there just yet, the articles I've seen on that seem like it's mostly video conferencing upgrades, which I do none of. I did order a Thunderbolt cable though, I'll try that.
Nonetheless, if can figure out the Bluetooth transfer, that would be good..

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Apple has the following suggestions for using Bluetooth File Exchange to transfer files. That's probably not the method I would choose if you need to transfer a large number of files. I think it would be quite slow at best.
Have you considered using Migration Assistant to do this? It's built with this kind of transfer in mind and does allow one to choose which files get transferred.

If you are moving files from an existing user account on an old Mac to a newer one don't create a new user account first. That will likely complicate matters when you try to use the older files. Even if the old and new accounts have the same username and passwords there will likely be issues because the accounts were created in a different order. Migrate the old account before you do anything else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
Airdrop, via WiFi, BT. Would take forever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I'm probably not helping much, but the latest version of Ventura is 13.6
I have 13.6.3 so if the OP has 13.5 I'm not sure why 13.6 is not showing up in Software Update. Although, sometimes I've had to click the More Updates button to see the latest update that has come out after the latest upgrade. (Maybe that's a little bit helpful!)

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.