• Welcome to the new Mac-Forums. See News and Community Announcements for more details.

Touchpad question

E

e-RICHIE

Guest
week 5 on my new ibook g4...

i just discovered a feature that i had on my dell
laptop that i thought didn't exist on the ibook: i
don't have to press the button under the touchpad
to click to a page or ???, i can simply tap the pad
instead. i got used to this on the dell and missed
it lo these past several weeks. i like keeping my
finger in one spot and also didn't like the tactile
feel of the button under the ibook touchpad. my
question to you mac lifers is this: is it safe to
use the touchpad by tapping it once the cursor is
over the icon i want to choose?

thanks for any advice.
e-RICHIE
 
Joined
Jan 12, 2005
Messages
1,278
Reaction score
13
Points
38
Location
/home/sheffield/UK
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
why would it not be safe?

I always thought that you had to set it up so thats why people dont mention it much
 
E

e-RICHIE

Guest
"why would it not be safe?"

just checking.
i inadvertantly stumbled on the feature and didn't
eit any settings. with a 5 week old appliance that
took 2 years of deciding 'bout switching from a pc,
i don't want to make any errors in use.
 
I

iDVFH.

Guest
e-RICHIE said:
just checking.
i inadvertantly stumbled on the feature and didn't
eit any settings. with a 5 week old appliance that
took 2 years of deciding 'bout switching from a pc,
i don't want to make any errors in use.
No it's fine..I actually dislike that feature. I find myself accidentally tapping it and going into things I didn't want to but other people find it easier. I hardly ever use my trackpad though cause I have the wireless mouse.
 
J

Jefe3223

Guest
Like idvfh said, it's perfectly fine.
Yeah get a lot of pc users surprised when I (if ever use the trackpad as a clicker) 'cause they didn't know I could do that too. I personally don't like to use my trackpad as a mouse button, 'cause I make a lot of small movements and it tends to think those are clicks. but that's just me...
 
Joined
Jul 23, 2004
Messages
3,169
Reaction score
164
Points
63
Location
North NJ
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i use the click on my trackpadd a lot because it is so much quicker....then again i have a weird usage between trackpad and my wireless mouce

the only problem i find with it is after a friend uses my computer to check e-mail (for eg.) i find 12 programs that have been opened when i get back...so i make them use the mouse

-chris
 
Joined
Feb 9, 2005
Messages
2,340
Reaction score
82
Points
48
Location
DFW
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i liked it when i first tried it, but i hit the track pad to hard and i kept selecting things i didnt want to and it became really annoying. glad you like it though.
 
Joined
Mar 30, 2004
Messages
4,744
Reaction score
381
Points
83
Location
USA
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
iDVFH. and fearlessfreap24, you do know that you can turn off tap-to-click and/or tap-to-drag in System Preferences, right? There's also an "Ignore trackpad if mouse is present" option.
 
A

Abira_Kam

Guest
e-RICHIE said:
week 5 on my new ibook g4...

i just discovered a feature that i had on my dell
laptop that i thought didn't exist on the ibook: i
don't have to press the button under the touchpad
to click to a page or ???, i can simply tap the pad
instead. i got used to this on the dell and missed
it lo these past several weeks. i like keeping my
finger in one spot and also didn't like the tactile
feel of the button under the ibook touchpad. my
question to you mac lifers is this: is it safe to
use the touchpad by tapping it once the cursor is
over the icon i want to choose?

thanks for any advice.
e-RICHIE

what do u think about buying a mouse??
 
Joined
Feb 9, 2005
Messages
2,340
Reaction score
82
Points
48
Location
DFW
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
technologist said:
iDVFH. and fearlessfreap24, you do know that you can turn off tap-to-click and/or tap-to-drag in System Preferences, right? There's also an "Ignore trackpad if mouse is present" option.
yes, it was iniotially turned off and i turned it on to try it out. now that i have a mouse i use the ignore the track pad when mouse is used. thanks though
 
E

e-RICHIE

Guest
Abira_Kam said:
what do u think about buying a mouse??

never!
i'm a laptop fool and my entire puter
life has been using them and the
accompanying touchpad. i am still
used to my dell pc habits, ergo the
original question about ibook touchpad
use.
 
Joined
Jul 23, 2004
Messages
3,169
Reaction score
164
Points
63
Location
North NJ
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
Abira_Kam said:
what do u think about buying a mouse??
a lot of people here use mice...and some dont...it is up to you really

i use different combinations of my trackpad and my mouse like i said earlier, i just find some ways easier than others
 
A

Abira_Kam

Guest
coach_z said:
a lot of people here use mice...and some dont...it is up to you really

i use different combinations of my trackpad and my mouse like i said earlier, i just find some ways easier than others

Ok i agree with u.... I use both ways ... mouse and touchpad... but I should notice that Mac's touchpad is more handy than PC's is.... isn't it?
 
Joined
Apr 28, 2005
Messages
132
Reaction score
4
Points
18
Location
London, UK
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air, 1.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB
I use the touchpad also because I too like the fact that you have everything at the touch of one finger. Like Richie, I too stumbled across the option by chance while visiting System Preferences. I was used to the touchpad in my Dell laptop which, infact, has a touchpad, a button underneath and another built-in mouse in the middle of the keyboard, the button mouse. Can you believe it?! When I am on the Dell now I try to close my browser with Ctrl+Q, hahaha! Long live the Mac!
 
Top