Total Newbie - Need advice on mac

Reaction score
Hi. I just registered. I am a life-long pc user, but I now really want to buy a mac. Without going into long, boring detail, I mainly want the new computer for recording -- mostly music (my own compositions, with multiple tracks played on keyboards) and perhaps some voice (interviews for a podcast), and I've heard that "Garage Band" comes installed and is easy to learn and use.

I'd like to be able to use Garage Band to record directly (analog in) as well as with MIDI. For analog recording, I have all the necessary external equipment (audio cables, good mics, preamps, and a mixer); also, all my keyboards are MIDI equipped.

Anyway, I want to buy a powerful, fast computer so there aren't frustrating issues with latency. I think I can afford up to $2,000 (or maybe a tad more if that's what it takes to get a good computer).

Advice please: Which mac(s) should I be looking at?

That's my main question. Also, for what it's worth, I live in rural Japan. I assume that if I buy a mac somewhere here in Japan (perhaps in Tokyo), it'll have a Japanese operating system. Does anyone know if I can get a dual (BOTH English and Japanese) operating system mac in Japan? (I can read Japanese fairly well, but having to decipher Japanese help messages can add an element of frustration when I just want to concentrate on using my computer.)

Thanks in advance!

JapanGuy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Welcome to the forums!
Hi. I just registered. I am a life-long pc user, but I now really want to buy a mac. Without going into long, boring detail, I mainly want the new computer for recording -- mostly music (my own compositions, with multiple tracks played on keyboards) and perhaps some voice (interviews for a podcast), and I've heard that "Garage Band" comes installed and is easy to learn and use.

I'd like to be able to use Garage Band to record directly (analog in) as well as with MIDI. For analog recording, I have all the necessary external equipment (audio cables, good mics, preamps, and a mixer); also, all my keyboards are MIDI equipped.

Anyway, I want to buy a powerful, fast computer so there aren't frustrating issues with latency. I think I can afford up to $2,000 (or maybe a tad more if that's what it takes to get a good computer).

Advice please: Which mac(s) should I be looking at?

I think that the new iMac is more than enough for your needs. They pack an amazing amount of power with a very decent price tag.
That's my main question. Also, for what it's worth, I live in rural Japan. I assume that if I buy a mac somewhere here in Japan (perhaps in Tokyo), it'll have a Japanese operating system. Does anyone know if I can get a dual (BOTH English and Japanese) operating system mac in Japan? (I can read Japanese fairly well, but having to decipher Japanese help messages can add an element of frustration when I just want to concentrate on using my computer.)
As far as I know the operating system has those languages already installed by default. In my System Preferences I could choose to run my mac in German if I wanted to. Then after choosing another language I have to logout and log back in and Mac OS X runs in the language I chose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Adding to that, even the lowest end MacBook will do all that you want (around US$1000), so with a $2000 budget, you could go that step higher with your mac choice, or spend that extra money on software and plugins such as Pro Tools (which is the ultimate in home recording software).
Digidesign - The Industry Leader in Digital Audio and Live Sound

In saying that, garageband is great, and personally, through spending the time to know the ins and outs of it, I have managed to produce some CD quality recordings.

The choice of mac really depends on if you want a laptop or desktop model, but all of them will carry the load without lagging.... the laptops are easily upgradable if you want more Ram or bigger HD, so don't let that be your deciding factor, as there are many online stores that are reputable, and you can get the upgrades a lot cheaper than you can from Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MacBook Pro; 2.66GHz, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD
If you can handle $2000, there are amazing possibilities when it comes to power. If you want portability, then just get the $1999 model of Macbook Pro which comes with a 2.66GHz processor and Nvidia 9600m gt. Or for the same price you can get a 27" imac with an Intel i7 processor.

In system preferences, you can easily change your language.

Also, if you find it hard getting used to mac, you can install Windows via an application called Boot Camp. You will need XP Service Pack 2, Windows vista or Windows 7.

Hope you have fun with your new Mac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2 2GB
My opinion is, buy the nicest computer you can safely afford, and if you can safely afford a $2k Mac, than buy the middle grade Macbook Pro, the one with the dedicated graphics. The reason for this is because that computer will last for a very very long time, in my opinion, much longer than a MacBook with integrated graphics.

/ my $.02

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
C

chas_m

As stated above, nearly any Mac should give you what you ask for, and all of them provide flexibility with the displayed language of choice.

I would personally pick the iMac at this moment in time because its currently the most bang for the yen. :)

In Japan (or at least in Tokyo) it should be easy to have your pick of either an english-layout keyboard or the Japanese keyboard.

As for music software, Garageband should be able to handle your needs easily, and is included. Perhaps later you will want to look at Logic Express (and on up the chain), but GB is ideal for your needs as stated.

Enjoy!

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks! Based on what I'm hearing, I'm leaning toward getting a 15-inch MacBook Pro (2.66GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB Memory, 320GB hard drive, SD card slot, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB) and doing my music work using "Garage Band". That would run me $1,999.
I see that it comes with a 320GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm, but I wonder -- is getting the optional 128GB solid-state drive [+$300] a good idea? (I also use an external hard drive, so a 128GB drive on board would suffice, and the thought of a solid-state drive is very appealing....)
Also, is the Antiglare Widescreen Display (+$50) worth it?
Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MacBook Pro; 2.66GHz, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD
Thanks! Based on what I'm hearing, I'm leaning toward getting a 15-inch MacBook Pro (2.66GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB Memory, 320GB hard drive, SD card slot, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB) and doing my music work using "Garage Band". That would run me $1,999.
I see that it comes with a 320GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm, but I wonder -- is getting the optional 128GB solid-state drive [+$300] a good idea? (I also use an external hard drive, so a 128GB drive on board would suffice, and the thought of a solid-state drive is very appealing....)
Thanks again!

I have the same exact machine that you just stated, and I am extremely attached to it. It is such a good computer, that you don't need any extra options.

However...

If you are worried about breaking something when you drop your laptop, get the SSD.

And if you will be working in the sun a lot, get the Antiglare, but it looks kind of ugly.

Personally, I think you are going to be disappointed if you get the SSD...

Reaction score
Thanks again!

If you are doing recording then I hate 2 be the one 2 tell u this, but you are going overboard. The basic Macbook will suffice with no problem for u. So think about it, If the macbook will do u just fine then u can easily go with the MBP 13" base model and be fine. So I wouldn't blow your budget on a laptop just because u have that in the budget. U might even want 2 get some more gear with the money u save. Just a thought, from a recording/mixing engineer.

One more thing. No U don't need a solid state drive, all of your files will be on a external drive so don't waste the money.

I'm just making a point of don't waste your money trying to over do it when any of the apple laptops will meet your needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
agreed.. if it's just about recording, you can go with the lowest end MacBook.
Check out my specs on the left of my late O7 MacBook, and I use it as a guitar teaching/recording aid, as well as to do my own home recordings. It does all that I need and is capable of more than I need.

The money you are spending for the extra "bling" that you don't really need, you can get a heap of extras to do with cables, mics, software, effects units, etc yet alone, if you wanted you could pretty much for that money get a MacBook for recording on the go, and an iMac for home recording :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.