Total Clean

Reaction score
After having had my Macbook for about 2 years now, I am thinking about totally wiping the sytem and reinstalling the OS in order to have a fresh start with my Macbook for University.

I would be moving all my music, movies, photos etc to my hard drive first, but I have a few questions that i would appreciate if I could get some help with;

1. What would be the best thing to do with firefox favourites, passwords etc in order to be able to transfer them to mozilla once I have reinstalled the OS

2. Would you suggest buying snow leopard instead?

3. Would you advise against me reinstalling the OS in order to have a fresh start and a quicker system?

4. What would be the best way to go about it (besides the obvious) and any other tips you would give.

Many Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Best way would be to do a time machine back-up first, re-install and bring your apps, files and preferences back from the TM back-up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
I think Snow Leopard is great. So I would do that.

In FF go to Organize Bookmarks and then Import and Backup, and backup your bookmarks to your external HD.

I must admit, I don't know the best way to save your FF passwords.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
My approach would be to do a Superduper bootable copy to the Ext HD then do an Install of Snow Leopard, then use Migration Assistant on MB - Applications > Utilities - to import settings but no Applications.
Then download fresh 3rd party Apps as you need them. As i recall you should be able to select which of User files you want to import - might even be worth setting up a Folder of User files to import on old OS before you start the process.
That way you have an old copy of the OS you could boot off if u need to and a Fresh OS on MB for starting Uni

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys, any anyone else with any info would be appreciated.

If I do a superduper bootable copy then won't I be left with all the cache and crap like that that slows it right down?

Also, what would be the best/cheapest way of adding more RAM? Im in the UK, and would you advise adding RAM? Is it worth however much I'm going to have to pay?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.