Toast 8 etc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
I have just purchased Toast 8 and am trying to backup a couple of DVD's that friends borrow regularly. I want to do a straight DVD to DVD style copy and can't do it because it has CSS encryption.
I tried to rip it using Mac The Ripper but now I have MP4 format that won't play on a nromal PC or DVD player, but works fine on the Mac.
How do I change from MP4 to Mpeg 2 for normal DVD player use?

Sorry if this has been answered before but I couldn't find the answer I was looking for

Mark

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
MacTheRipper does NOT rip in MP4. It rips in Video_TS just like DVD Shrink except it does not shrink and leaves it at 8GB. You then launch Toast and it will shrink and burn to DVD. Toast is a legal program and does NOT remove copy protection. That is against the law by the way and not to be discussed on Mac Forums. Just a heads up so you will not get in trouble. It's to keep the forum legal and above board.

OP
MaDDoG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for that. I did the toast 8 burn to dvd bit but it would not play in the dvd player. I loan dvd's to people and am sick of getting them back scratched, so I figured I would just do a copy....that way my original stays perfect and they can scratch as much as they like on the loaner.
I wonder if toast 8 copies the ripped files but I cn't play it because of the protection.

I am not into pirate copies...I own all my own.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Thanks for that. I did the toast 8 burn to dvd bit but it would not play in the dvd player. I loan dvd's to people and am sick of getting them back scratched, so I figured I would just do a copy....that way my original stays perfect and they can scratch as much as they like on the loaner.
I wonder if toast 8 copies the ripped files but I cn't play it because of the protection.

Would the burned DVD play in your MBP? Some DVD burners copies don't play in some settop players I have found. If I burn them on my iMac some players will not play them but if I use my Plextor in my PC every player I have used reads and plays them. I installed the Plextor in my Mac tower and it worked the same as in the PC so it's not the software (at least in my case.)

What brand of DVD blanks are you using? Sometimes that can make a difference.

I do the same thing here as I will NO loan my factory DVD's out any longer as most people have no respect nor know how to treat a DVD, so I can understand what you are

Do remember one thing, some newer DVD's have new copy protection scemes. Does MacTheRipper give you any errors at the end of the rip?

OP
MaDDoG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks dtravis7.....Yes it did play on the MBP. They are just generic blank DVD's but I have never had problems with them before. I have used them when I had a Windows PC and burned discs using DVD shrink or DVD X Copy....and they have always been fine.
I dont recall any error in MacThe Ripper at the end of the rip...but I could be wrong.

OP
MaDDoG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update....I just put the DVD in the DVD player and went through the menus. I skipped the first scene and it plays perfectly from there. It normally gets to the first scene and freezes there.
So then I did another copy minus the extras......it played (time counter moving) but had a blank screen. After about 2 and a half minutes started playing normally....??

Tak

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch Macbook Pro dual core Duo 2/G4 server

Were you using DVD-R? If you use DVD+R the odds of getting a set top playable dvd are pretty poor.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.