To NORTON or not to NORTON???

Reaction score
This was very similar to my Norton 500 single Hemi.

Norton was famous for making big single cylinder motorcycles all the way from 1919 until 1966.

Their thumpers were especially popular in the '50's, as they made competitive power for racing thanks to the use of shaft and bevel drive to their overhead cams. They were competitive even against the early three and four cylinder competition in racing in the '50's.

Norton's twins became really popular in the late '60's and early '70's when they mounted their light and powerful engines in rubber so that their awful vibration became livable. Unfortunately Norton set the path for ruin when they acquired Triumph and BSA, which were failing due to labor problems and mismanagement, and tried to keep them alive against the onslaught of Japanese bikes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
and tried to keep them alive against the onslaught of Japanese bikes.

Thanks for that extra information Randy.

And then the Japanese and their bikes certainly pretty well took over the rest of the world's major motorbike production and continued to do so and improve to this day.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone 13
Norton Commandos, nice bikes, shakes and all.
Not all Nortons!

I had the use of a Norton in the 80s that was powered by a Wankel rotary engine. Smooth as silk, high revving, and pretty fast when it was running - but that wasn't often!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
At least once a week I get an email thanking me for my subscription renewal and telling me how much money they are deducting (spam of course).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac -Monterey-12.6.7 27"Retina 5K, Late 2015, 3.2 GHz, i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, 250 GB SSD
This was very similar to my Norton 500 single Hemi.

Basically, a very popular WW II motorbike that was also very popular after the war, and motorbikes gained popularity in use. It had a rigid frame, with front forks only sprung with springs.

View attachment 38290

- Patrick
=======
Wow !

Reaction score
I found out about Norton crap when I still used windows. Tell everyone to not use their scam product. I have never used any security program on any of my mac's, and never found a need to. my office requires it but only requests you self certify you have one installed so no issues there, just do not comply.

Reaction score
... I have never used any security program on any of my mac's, and never found a need to. my office requires it but only requests you self certify you have one installed so no issues there, just do not comply.

This product is free, extremely effective (not that you are likely to need it), and it won't cause any problems with your Mac like the fully interactive commercial products do. In fact, to be allowed in Apple's online store, it is fully sandboxed and vetted, so it is safe. It's a wonderful product to have on your computer if for nothing else to be able to tell your work that you have AV software installed. You don't have to ever run it if you don't want to. But you can run it whenever you are concerned that any anomolies with your Mac might be caused by malware.

VirusBarrier Free Edition (free)

Reaction score
You don't need ... Intego VirusBarrier in my opinion on a Mac.

You don't need VirusBarrier, but since it comes in a free version that does't cause any problems of its own, it's nice to have.

It's sort of like having a first aid kit in your house...if that kit was free. Why would you turn that down?

Reaction score
At least once a week I get an email thanking me for my subscription renewal and telling me how much money they are deducting (spam of course).
Only once a week? Get it at least 2 times a week.... and I have NEVER had a subscription to Norton, so would like to know whose account they are taking it from....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Only once a week? Get it at least 2 times a week.... and I have NEVER had a subscription to Norton, so would like to know whose account they are taking it from....
Most likely, it's a phishing scam email.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
and I have NEVER had a subscription to Norton, so would like to know whose account they are taking it from....

Maybe it's time to set up an Mai.appl email Rule to just Delete such emails or with a bit more effort set up an account with SpamCop and let them deal with sucks spam emails. 😉

- Patrick
=======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
It's just phishing, they have your email address from one of many possible sources and they send the same email to all the addresses in hope someone will renew or connect via the link. Don't do either.
In my case I just block the sender but they will send again no doubt from a different address.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.