To Mouse or Not

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.
I have always wondered just how many of you guys use a mouse when on your Macbook, I do have a wireless mouse and sometimes if on a table do use it, but I find that if you use the touch pad alot it becomes very easy and just normal so for most of time its just the touchpad, its so easy and convenient.......and just a bit cool!

Chris:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
I use only the track pad on my MacBook. It is *so* nice. What sold me on it I think was the two finger scrolling.

Okay, there is a downside in that I prefer a 3 button device, whether it is the "mouse" buttons on my ThinkPad or the buttons on my PC trackball. It's fine though as I don't mind using the appropriate combination of the single button and keyboard keys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz/1GB RAM/250 GB HDD
I just use the trackpad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Black
I only use the trackpad- but i after a couple hours it does get a bit painful

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I use a PB and have never once use a mouse with it.. Before my PB I had a 1.43ghz ibook and again never once used a mouse with it.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
the trackpad on the macbook is easily the nicest i've ever used. and i was one of the few people who used a "cruise cat" trackpad instead of a mouse on my pc for some time. i like trackpads, and the macbook allows me to rely solely on it. so i am mouseless at home.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I rely heavily on my mouse. Trackpads are nice, and the two-finger scroll is something I have come to enjoy quite a bit when just browsing the web, but for my work, I really need the mouse.
Working with design apps, the trackpad can be a little too sloppy and nowhere near as precise as a mouse's input.
:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
When I had a PC laptop I couldn't stand using the track pad and I always carried a mouse with it.

On my first powerbook I used the trackpad 95% of the time and it's the same with macbook. The trackpads are amazing. I don't know what it is but they don't feel like a crappy trackpad.

I had a friend sitting next to me using his PC laptop and noticed I wasn't using amouse and said "Don't you hate using the trackpad" and said, heck no, for some reason, it's really nice on the mac.

my 2 cents

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I thought about getting a Bluetooth mouse for my Macbook because I always hated using trackpads for extended periods of time on PC laptops. But after I discovered how much more robust the Macbook's trackpad was compared to a PC laptop, I was hooked. Getting a mouse never again cross my mind :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
I'd been using a mouse/external keyboard combo until recently.
My current situation dictates that I have the use of just my MacBook.
I'm finding myself quite adept at using just the trackpad and am re-loving the feel of the MacBook keyboard.
The two-finger scroll is, to say the least, fracken sweet.
A couple things I'm still getting used to:
* The ctrl-click/command-click thing (e.g., ctrl-click opens the contextual menu in firefox, whereas command-click does the 'automagic new tab' on a hyperlink). I'm always saying "d'oh" when the context menu opens when I meant to 'new tab' it.
* "delete" vs "fn-delete"

Other than that, when the opportunity to go back to ext keyboard/mouse comes up, unless I have an external monitor, I'll probably stick with the way things are now.

Reaction score
I love the trackpad too, it's huge compared to a lot of the other laptops out there. Love the two finger scrolling and how putting two fingers on and clicking is right click is so cool. With that said, I still mainly use my Wireless Mighty Mouse, just cause I don't want to get the trackpad dirty.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
and how putting one finger on and clicking is right click

i don't think i've ever done that... interesting.
i just two-finger tap for right click.

Reaction score
Hardly ever use the trackpad, much prefer a wireless mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3 MacBook Air 1.7 i5 - also, Mac Mini and dead 12in iBook G4 (RIP)
I only use the trackpad- but i after a couple hours it does get a bit painful

I get quite a lot of aching across the back of my hand particularly from hours of trackpad use on my iBook...

So, I have a mouse which I drag out and use if I am going to be at the machine for more than a few minutes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
it is true that Macs have larger trackpads than most PC companies, I still like to have a mouse for the right click. I have a gigaware optical wired mouse and i love it. It's stylish, clean, and it glows blue so you can see the inside of it, very good mouse.

OP
chrisiw
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.
Hi Guys
The feedback on this forum is great, I dont have a Macbook yet so are just getting some ideas on what you guys use, I dont use a mouse very often on my XP laptop so its good news that most of you seem to like the trackpad, I cant wait to get one now but holding back for the new Opp System, hope its soon.

Chris

Reaction score
mouse?! whats a mouse!? oh you mean the little furry thing?

lol nah..I use the track pad only. The way ive got it set up i can EVERYTHING via trackpad. single/double clicks, right clicks, scrolling, dragging and dropping and all of these things at an ease.

I think the trackpad is awesome..1 finger press acts like a left click....2 finger press acts like a right click.

two fingers on trackpad moving up and down = scrolling.

If you just go into system prefs and Trackpad you can configure it to do a number of things. extremely useful

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.