To All Macbook Owners - Is This Normal?

Reaction score
First off, sorry for the horrible pic but all I've got is a camera phone. I bought a black Macbook recently and I was checking it over to look for any damage and so on. There was only one thing that I found that bothered me. On the left side of the macbook there are 2 usb ports. There are 2 little prongs in each port, all the prongs are level except for the one on the very left which pokes up a little. This isnt causing any problems. The port still works and everything, I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen this or if its like this on every macbook. Take a look at the pic and let me know what you guys think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13' Black MacBook Core Duo 1.25 GB Ram 80GB HD
I'm sure its fine once you start using it alot it will probably level out.

OP
Keef
Reaction score
Well I'm scared to unplug it because when I have to plug it back in it kind of snags you know? I'm scared of pushing in the USB and having that prong just bend completely backwards. So nobody else's looks like this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
This is what mine look like. Can't tell if it's the same as yours as your picture is rather blurry.

IMG_1177.JPG

J

jamesx

if you dont think its right, call apple or take it back to the store. if you think its going to break, its not right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13' Black MacBook Core Duo 1.25 GB Ram 80GB HD
Oops misunderstood what was going on I thought the prong was just kind of angled upwards. Yeah contact apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
have you tried another usb device? ive noticed sometimes some just fit kind of odd.

of course if u think its the port, take it to apple, theyll take a peek at it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
If it's just bent up slightly you can probably just bend it down with a screwdriver (with the power off!), unless it's been bent backwards and is twisted. You can see how it's supposed to look by comparing it with the other ones.

OP
Keef
Reaction score
It's just a little higher than the rest of them and it doesn't look or feel right when I plug in a USB device.
If it's just bent up slightly you can probably just bend it down with a screwdriver (with the power off!)

Ya I tried to bend it down with the battery out and everything but it wasnt working and I didn't want to try too hard and then acctually cause damage because right now everything works its just kinda sketchy haha.

But I'm gonna head down to the Apple Store right now and see what they think. I'll let you guys know what happens.

OP
Keef
Reaction score
Well I just got back from the Apple Store in Salt Lake City. My USB port is all fixed now thanks to an employee down there named Brian. He had seen it before, the prong had somehow came out of its socket and its just a matter of pushing it back in. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.