Tips on dealing with a dying Macbook Pro battery

Reaction score
I’ve been looking for tips on what to do when your macbook battery starts dying. I’ve found a few which I would like to share, but I also want to hear some tips from other members. “Dying” means the mac can’t boot up without being plugged to the charger and fully charged (charger light is green). If the mac is not plugged in and fully charged the mac doesn’t boot but instead makes a whirring noise, then the battery makes a clicking sound and shuts down. If the mac is partially charged and plugged in (the charger light is amber) the mac won’t boot but makes a whirring sound. The screen remains black, but the device doesn't shut down.

The first solution would be to get a new battery, but here are some other ones:

1. Freezing the battery: This is a risky method, but I’ve heard that it works for some people.

a) Wrap the battery in paper towels or a soft towel and place it in a zip lock bag. Place the bag in the freezer for 6 hours.

b) Remove the battery and let it warm up to room temperature for over 8 hours. The paper towels or soft towel will absorb any condensation. Condensation can damage the battery.

c) Install the battery and let it charge for 8 hours. The device remains OFF during this time.

d) Turn the device ON.

Source: https://www.quora.com/I-read-somewh...ould-it-actually-work-Is-it-dangerous?share=1

2. Using the mac without a battery.

a) Remove the battery and unplug the charger.

b) Insert the charger and press the power button at the same time. Press and hold the power button for 3 seconds, then release your finger. If you release it before 3 seconds the device makes a gentle whirring sound, but nothing boots. If you release it after 3 seconds the fan makes a loud sound, but doesn't boot.

c) If you release at the right time the device will boot.

d) Alternatively press and hold the power button for 5 seconds, then insert the charger. Hold the button for 3 more seconds then release the finger. The device should boot.

3. Resetting the SMC. This works as well, but only after multiple attempts. The SMC can be reset while the charger is plugged or unplugged. If the charger is plugged the charger light will change briefly indicating that the SMC has been reset.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you're planning on keeping the MBP, just replace the battery. A laptop battery is a consumable device that will last for a while but just fade away after time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.