tiny icon

Reaction score
okay, i know about as little about computers as necessary to operate one. i've never seen this before. i have a new macbook pro. when i just turned it on and logged in, a tiny "Macintosh HD" icon had appeared on my desktop. Why did this randomly happen without me causing it to? if i drag it to the trash, the trash becomes an eject button when i have it selected, but it does nothing when i move it there.. which makes sense because you wouldn't eject a drive... what should i do with this thing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 14gb ram 24" LED Cd & 23" Cd
That is your hard drive and it is mounted. You do not put it in the trash silly person.

Leave it there for your own good.

OP
H
Reaction score
You do not put it in the trash silly person.

hahahaha... this is the best response i could have imagined. what i am saying though is that up until this point, it was NOT mounted to my desktop. There was nothing whatsoever on my desktop. I know on my previous mac (tiger) the hard drive was mounted from the start. I was just wondering why this suddenly appeared out of nowhere, and if it's necessary to leave it there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, core 2 duo 2.0 GHZ,1GB RAM,80 GB HDD
hehe 1st response = funny :)

but yeah don't unmount it that would not be good :p but if you don't want it to appear on the desktop go to finder>preferences in the menubar and under the general tab where it says " show these items on the desktop" uncheck hard disks.

OP
H
Reaction score
hehe 1st response = funny :)

but yeah don't unmount it that would not be good :p but if you don't want it to appear on the desktop go to finder>preferences in the menubar and under the general tab where it says " show these items on the desktop" uncheck hard disks.

awesome thanks buddy... you learn something new every day.... I have upped my status from 4/1,000,000 to 5/1,000,000 of the way to knowing how to use a computer!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.