Time to upgrade. Don't know what to do

Reaction score
So it seems like my old MacBook (late 2008) has given up on living and it's time to find a replacement. I went to an Apple store and asked about the MacBook Air and the MacBook Pro retina, both 13 inch screens. When I explained what I'd be using the computer for, the staff recommended the MBP. I told them, my main applications are Photoshop and Corel Painter, with a Wacom drawing tablet.

I decided to do my own research and found out the MBP 13's GPU is not really that much better than the MBA's. Furthermore, when I checked out the refurbished late 2013 retina laptops at the Apple website I found a 15 inch MBP similarly priced to the 13 inch. So now I'm wondering what to do.

As I mentioned, my old MacBook unibody (late 2008) was mostly used for Photoshop (heaps of layers and filters) and Corel Painter. It wasn't brilliant, but with its RAM memory expanded to 8GB was working Ok-ish.

I'm happy with 256 GB storage, anything larger is a plus. Same with screen real estate, 15 inches would be nice but not a must have. More interested on best bang for the buck. I'd appreciate your opinions about the following machines:

MBP 13
Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Pro 2.6GHz Dual-core Intel i5 with Retina Display - Apple Store (Australia)

MBP 15
Refurbished 15.4-inch MacBook Pro 2.0GHz Quad-core Intel i7 with Retina Display - Apple Store (Australia)

The MBP15's advantages are the Nvidia graphics and the quad core processor, aside from the screen.

The MBP13 has twice as much RAM, and storage.

Do you guys think the 15's quad core and better GPU would offset the 13's RAM advantage? Specially when we consider the fact that with the retina laptops you're stuck with the RAM you get when you buy the computer.

And my last question, is it worth considering the 2014 machines? Even if I'd get less RAM at a similar price?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Was this a genuine Apple Store or simply a Reseller?

All things being equal, as suggested the 13". Thje 15" is pretty big to be lugging about.

OP
L
Reaction score
Correction re MBP15 and question about the Apple Store

Hi there,

I just re-checked the MBP15 from the link and realised it has the same Intel (Iris) GPU as the 13, probably with more memory. I guess the MBP13 is looking better now.

Regarding the question about the store. The store where I checked the computers out and asked the questions was actually and authorised seller. The refurbished laptops are from the actual Apple Store.

Cheers

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It does happen Resellers sometimes will be more interested in selling what they have in stock and not what may be the best Apple for you. My reseller is more interested in selling HP.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
My opinion is that today 250 Gb is way too little. The original MBA came with 128 Gb and was considered to be a "work platform" only containing the applications necessary for performing what ever was needed plus temporary files, the assumption was that all permanent files would be stored on external devices including photos and music/movies. Todays 250 Gb is yesterdays 128 Gb. Get the fastest and biggest storage and RAM you can afford you will not regret it.;D

OP
L
Reaction score
Decision made - thanks

Thank you all for your replies.

Last night I purchased the MBP13 retina with 16 GB RAM and 512 GB SSD. I think it should serve me well for the next few years.

Cheers

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
What can I say except congratulations on a great choice. I'm sure you will not regret it. Wouldn't mind one myself.
Enjoy,
Rod;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.