Time to open up the MBA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Today I had to clean dust out of my Win desktop machine (home built). Afterwards I was looking at my MBA that I bought back in July and wondered if it was as dusty inside. I had bought a tool kit that supposed to be used with all Apple machines, even iPhones. So this evening I turned the MBA off and set it down bottom side up and began to take the lower cover off.

The hairiest part was dealing with the little Pentalobe screws. My old fingers are not as nimble as they used to be. One fell off the table into the carpet and I had a time finding it. Once I had the cover off I was surprised to see how clean everything was.

[First Pic] Even though I have seen pics on Fixit! on the MBA I was still astonished on how small the logic board is. This is the first time I have ever seen a laptop battery larger than the motherboard/logic board. No wonder it lasts 12 hours. I am just amazed at Apple engineering.

[Second Pic] Here is the "phantom" fan which is still clean. The reason I said phantom is that I have yet to hear it. Even when installing Yosemite I never heard it. Until I saw the pics on Fixit! I thought the MBA used some kind of passive cooling.

Anyway, good to know that the MBA doesn't suck up much dust. I will check it again in six months to see how it is doing.

IMG_0053sm.png

IMG_0054sm.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
One bit of advice: If it ain't broke, don't fix it! ;P

OP
midway40
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
I hear ya ;)

That will be the most I will ever do to the MBA until the warranty runs out. Growing up I liked to take things apart to see how they work and it has't abated over the years. At least I don't have to worry that the MBA is sucking up a lot of dust.

One of my many jobs at work is to repair laptops used by technicians who work on HD trucks (Peterbilt, Freightliner, etc) connecting to the truck's computer for diagnosis. My SysAdmin buys these modified Dell ATG D630s by Augmentix on Ebay (I think the last one was made in '09). This company replaced the Dell body with a fiberglass one and uses a special screen. These can be certified as military grade laptops but those technicians can still find ways to screw them up as I have replaced several motherboards, screens, keyboards, etc. The last mobo I had to replace was because all the USB ports were broken by them jokers jerking the USB cables out of them. And these laptops are a pain in the tush to work on since they use silicone sealant to seal parts together and has way more screws than a normal ATG has.

I also work on the company's desktops (about 125 total in 6 stores) but these are a piece of cake to work on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.