time machine

Reaction score
Try verifying the backup disc. This worked for me on two computers that had the same symptoms as you describe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
my time machine cannot go back past the date I installed yosemite

What makes you think that ?
What exactly are you seeing that makes you say that.
I am running Yosemite and my TimeMachine backups go back to the year 2008 and I can restore files from that, no problem.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
I had the same problem as the OP. I upgraded to Yosemite on my work machine, and then a week later a power surge scrambled my hard drive. I used the Restore function, and opted to restore from the most recent backup. Even though I had multiple backups made while running Yosemite, Time Machine would only install the last backup made under Mavericks. So I ended up with a Mavericks machine again, and had to re-install Yosemite. Concerned, I went home and tried to restore a file from Time Machine on my home machine. No go, I could only access files backup up on the previous OS X. Verifying the firewire backup drives fixed both problems. I have no idea why, but Time Machine now works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Ian,
Do you mean the " verify disk " function from Disk Utility ?
That would be an easy thing to try first then.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Oops. Yes, verify disk from Disk Utility. I tried everything else I could think of on the boot disc, but it ended up being something on the backup disc itself that was incompatible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.